4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

steeda underdrive pullies

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:20 AM
yellowjacket01
2nd Gear Member

Default steeda underdrive pullies

has anyone ever painted there underdrive pullies im about to purchase some off of ebay and i have a zinc yellow car,so i want to paint these to match,will it affect anything if i do this, i was going to sand blast them prime then paint them, and then bake them.this wont screw them up will it?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 AM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: steeda underdrive pullies

i wouldn't think so i've seen them painted on show cars and i have seen them chrome so no i doubt it, i wouldn't pint the harmonic balancer though.

ORIGINAL: yellowjacket01

has anyone ever painted there underdrive pullies im about to purchase some off of ebay and i have a zinc yellow car,so i want to paint these to match,will it affect anything if i do this, i was going to sand blast them prime then paint them, and then bake them.this wont screw them up will it?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Just painting the pulleys would,in my most honest opinion,look like s#%t.To do something like this you should paint the valve covers and maybe the plenum.This will keep people's eyes moving when they look at the engine bay.Pulleys painted by themselves will draw attention to just the pulleys and that makes everything else look neglected.If you have color in one place the idea is to have color somewhere else in the opposite location to balance everything.
When showing cars you want to make sure judges and spectators see the entire car,not just one thing,like pulleys or rims.In other words,you don't want to make one part stand out above all the rest.
Thinking about how I would do this gave me an idea.How about painting the pulleys,valve covers,upper plenum,strut brace if you have one,and the pony on the insulation blanket above the engine.This would give you color spread equally around the engine without being overpowering.
Before anybody says anything I'm not a homo.I've just been in lots of bike and car shows.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:59 AM
yellowjacket01
2nd Gear Member

no thats a good idea, i was already going to paint the valve covers,i had a post or two a while back asking how to take them out,now which one is the harmonic balancer that im not supposed to paint?has anyone on here done their engine to like show quality,i was looking at upr,and i want the car to look good but not by adding 50lbs of chrome under the hood plus in my opinion it looks tacky so i was trying to take what i had and make it look better,
Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I don't see how it would hurt to paint the harmonic balancer (crank pulley),but if there is a question I would just paint the outside and front.Be sure to mask off the sealing surface where it goes into the engine and where the bolt and washer go through.The paint could/will wear off under the washer and could cause the pulley to loosen.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:09 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Please don't.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:36 PM
yellowjacket01
2nd Gear Member

please dont what?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper
I don't see how it would hurt to paint the harmonic balancer (crank pulley),but if there is a question I would just paint the outside and front.Be sure to mask off the sealing surface where it goes into the engine and where the bolt and washer go through.The paint could/will wear off under the washer and could cause the pulley to loosen.
It might unbalance the pullies and then it would hurt your vehicle. I've never seen painted pullies but I'm not sure if I would like it. That's just me, if you have access to a sand blaster then do it, and if you don't like it you could always blast them back to stock. Have you tried asking Steeda if the recommend, or know of anyone complaining about problems after painting them?