4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what is Dyno tune? and where can I get it done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Oscar_3748
2nd Gear Member

Default what is Dyno tune? and where can I get it done?

I keep reading how every one got their car Dyno tuned; What does it do? about how much does it run, and where can I do it?
I got a 2000 GT Stock
Only Mods are
- K & N air intake
- Dual 40's Flowmaster
- Drilled and Sloted Rotors
Old 04-27-2006, 08:06 PM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: what is Dyno tune? and where can I get it done?

Well a dyno-tune is when they set your car up by running it on a dyno and programming it to run the best possible. The dyno will tell you how much horsepower you are putting to the rear wheels as opposed to the flywheel. The Dyno Tune is really best for supercharged or turbo car to set it up to where it makes the most power and runs safely. Most people just want to know what they're car is putting to the ground and most of the time go back and have it re-done to see how much mods help. As far as price, to have it tuned it is very expensive and depends on the region. Not really sure where you are from but in bigger cities i'm sure its not hard to find a place to do it. Usually at mustang events or any kind of car event they will have a chassis dyno where you can get it tested and its not really all that expensive if you plan on modding your car so it gives you a starting point.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:10 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

A dyno tune is when you put your car on a dyno. A dynomometer can tell you tons about how your car is running and what it is doing, and tell you how much power your making. When you get your car dyno tuned you can have a chip burned that suits your cars needs exactly by what it is doing on the dyno. So dyno tuning will give you more power than just buying a regular chip in most cases. The chips normaly will advance timing through air and fuel adjustments and can also do other things like turn on your cooling fan earlyer and adjust for gears ect. Just depends on your mods and your time on the dyno, but I can say it is worth it. Since you are in CA I have not a clue where to tell you to go for a dyno tune. Maybe some Cali folks will chim in on this.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

In two weeks I'm getting a SCT tuner and 4.10s put in.. I'm also getting the ride dyno'd.. The SCT tuner, and actual tuning, is $379.. The dyno is $99 an hour.. I was told it will take about an hour or slightly more.. $379 + $99 is alot of cheddar for 12-15 HP but I guess it needs to be done to make it run the best.. I'll keep you posted after I get it done.. D-day is May 16th for the new mods..

The tech doing the work said he gets anywhere from 12-15 HP from the tune.. Another plus is hes going to shut off my rear 02s seeing I am running an O/R H pipe..

Hope it helps

The shop doing the work is www.candmperformance.com
Old 04-27-2006, 10:35 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

I was quoted 125.00 per hour for the dyno tune and they said it shouldn't even take that long. I am running a diablo tune for the time being till the stock tune is done. Not gonna bother doing the tune till my cai/plenun/tb are put in though. This place is pretty cool as well, I will see if they will let me do a run on the dyno before I put on all the intake stuff just to see what kind of gains I get. I will also try to get some printouts so I can post them. I have absolutely no idea what I will put down with all the mods but hoping for at least 260 [:@] at the rear wheels