4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to get better mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 04:22 PM
slappy

Default How to get better mpg?

I have recently started driving my wifes '02 GT automatic Mustang because we got a new car that a baby could fit in. My mpg has been between 17-20 and at $3.00+ for a gallon of gas that isn't going to cut for long. I mostly drive it to work and back and maybe a little running around. Is there any mods that will increase the mpg any? I know the air filter needs to be changed so I going to do that today and see if it helps any.

I was thinking about loosing the GT and getting an SVTF, but don't know if it would be worth it for a moderate increas in mpg. If only I could find something fun to drive that also go good mpg.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:35 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How to get better mpg?

Pump the rear tires up too 34 or 35 psi, that should improve the mpg a tad bit. Also give y our car a tuneup if it needs it. Fresh plugs, clean air filter, and a clean fuel filter should increase the mpg.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

change all you're filters and fluids. get an intake, catback, midpipe, and underdrive pullies (Steedas!) and you'll notice an increase in mpg

ORIGINAL: slappy

I have recently started driving my wifes '02 GT automatic Mustang because we got a new car that a baby could fit in. My mpg has been between 17-20 and at $3.00+ for a gallon of gas that isn't going to cut for long. I mostly drive it to work and back and maybe a little running around. Is there any mods that will increase the mpg any? I know the air filter needs to be changed so I going to do that today and see if it helps any.

I was thinking about loosing the GT and getting an SVTF, but don't know if it would be worth it for a moderate increas in mpg. If only I could find something fun to drive that also go good mpg.
imports
you can buy a 2000 integra gsr. you'll have plenty fun with it and it'll get about 30 mpg
Old 04-29-2006, 04:41 PM
slappy

I will look into those mods.

Which do you think would help the most; just an air filter swap or an entire cai? If cai would be best which one should I get?

If I get something else it would have to be able to acomadate a car seat and a stroller. I would like to have both of our vehicles baby ready just in case.

Man it would be easier if the price of gas would just go back down.

=[

ps: your sig is great. haha
Old 04-29-2006, 05:08 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

I'd just get the K&N filter and forget about CAI....

Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

A K&N will be fine, skip the CAI, it's a waste of money. Make sure your tires are inflated to the required specs, makre sure everything is in alignment.

Also, changing your driving habits can greatly increase your gas mileage. Granny shifting, accellerating as slowly as possible and driving the exact speed limit or even slightly lower will all give you a significant increase in gas mileage.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Which do you think would help the most; just an air filter swap or an entire cai? If cai would be best which one should I get?

If I get something else it would have to be able to acomadate a car seat and a stroller. I would like to have both of our vehicles baby ready just in case.

=[

I can fit my 2 yr old, her baby accompanying needs, and a huge stroller in my trunk.... plus the other crap I carry around, myself and my wife :-p

But yea, get a k&n filter, Steeda UDPs... and exhaust(might help a bit)
Old 04-29-2006, 07:11 PM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

Roll the windows down up to 55 mph. After that, use a/c. I read a report by the government that said that after 55mph, the wind resistance created by having the windows down is more than turning on your a/c.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:15 PM
blazzinbird
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

=[

I can fit my 2 yr old, her baby accompanying needs, and a huge stroller in my trunk.... plus the other crap I carry around, myself and my wife :-p

But yea, get a k&n filter, Steeda UDPs... and exhaust(might help a bit)

Im sorry this is a old post but I couldnt help but laugh at this commint

I can fit my 2 yr old, her baby accompanying needs, and a huge stroller in my trunk

just sounds funny