4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thinking of a 2000 GT, suspension questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:29 AM
Corbic

Default Thinking of a 2000 GT, suspension questions.

I'm new to Mustangs, and domestics in most cases. I was once a RWD hater; however my '88 GXL RX-7 has converted me. Recently I'm tired of a project + daily car; it’s just too expensive and has not been as enjoyable as I always imagine it will be. I'm thinking of ditching both my cars and getting a low mileage, low maintenance GT 'Stang for around 10-11k. (small payments).

While I love the look of the Mustang, and I feel it will meet many of my needs (good fuel economy, rwd, good power, reliability), I have no desire to drag race or have any participation in that "sub-culture". No offense, it’s just not for me. With that in mind, I don't wish to make any significant power increases, maybe just high-flow filter, and exhaust to improve throttle response, sound and eek an extra half mpg out of the car. My real goal would be improving suspension. My understanding the suspension system on the 'stang is simply archaic and poor. Dating back to the early '80s IIRC with no real improvement or change during any of the face lifts. So what can I hope for? I would considering swapping in a Cobra's IRS if its "inexpensive" and "straight forward" for I've heard many Cobra guys ditch their rear-ends to achieve better track results with a live-axel. Also how "good" can I get the suspension set up, I'm not expecting any M3 stuff here, just improvements. I have not been behind the wheel of a Mustang for a few years now and plan to start test driving this Monday to get down exact what bothered me then, and what I'd like to improve.

Also, can someone explain how the rear end works, is it’s an open-differential, or more comparable to a "welded" differential, are LSD available?

Any help or comments would be great.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 05-06-2006, 02:35 PM
statichead2k
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking of a 2000 GT, suspension questions.

I had read and heard about massive snap oversteer problems with the mustang rear suspension.

I could imagine driving through a corner and all of a sudden facing the other direction or in a massive spin.

So far I have been dissappointed. With my spring a shock upgrades my rear end sticks like glue. [>:]

No snap oversteer at all. In fact the car still pushes a tiny bit.

I can feel it "steering" sometimes in rapid tranisitions from left to right or the otherway around. It really shows up in a long slalom.
This is due to bushing and cheap control arm flex. The rear axle is allowed to move side to side thus changing the thrust angle dynamically. It really feels wierd.

I plan to add a better set of lower control arms, a pan hard bar and stock replacement upper control arms and call the rear good.

The limited slip that come stock in (all?) most V8 sn95s is pretty decent. With 100k mine still provides semi positive locking.
I can feel the inside tire slip for a couple of feet coming out of a sharp right hander. Rebuild kits for the LSD are around 60 bucks and can be put in by the shadetree mechanic in an afternoon. Changing the clutch and steel order can make the diff more positive as well. Search here or on other forums for the order.

I have owned three mustangs now, 2 5.0 foxes and the current 98 convertible. V8 RWD and a 5-speed. What a blast!!
Old 05-06-2006, 04:10 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Call Maximum Motorsports and tell them what your needs/goals are.

I was lookig for a daily driven, auto-x'ing, drag-strippable setup. I can get everything I need in a kit for about $1500 and handle as well as most with the added V8 power making up the differences when there's room to do so.

The suspension may be simplistic but it is easily remedied.

2¢ deposited, waiting for change.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Corbic

So the Mustang comes with a clutch type LSD?

Thanks for the imput guys.

Jack
Old 05-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Dog Boy

I agree you cant beat a RWD V8 5 speed for fun factor.

I have Eibach Prokit Springs, Tokiko Shocks, Upper and Lower Control Arms and Sway Bar in the rear. I'm no jet pilot, I just like to have fun running errands around town. I will tell you, I run out of cahones before I run out of traction. If the back end gets squirrely, it's cuz youre bieng silly with the throttle.
I have seen ads for numerous parts oulets that have "grip in a box" packages that will get you every thing you need.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:30 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dog Boy

I agree you cant beat a RWD V8 5 speed for fun factor.

I have Eibach Prokit Springs, Tokiko Shocks, Upper and Lower Control Arms and Sway Bar in the rear. I'm no jet pilot, I just like to have fun running errands around town. I will tell you, I run out of cahones before I run out of traction. If the back end gets squirrely, it's cuz youre bieng silly with the throttle.
I have seen ads for numerous parts oulets that have "grip in a box" packages that will get you every thing you need.
Sure you can.... the only thing that beats that is: RWD V8 6 speed
Old 05-07-2006, 02:34 AM
caretta31

For a daily driver, weekend racer the Mustang can be made to handle well enough to be fun and competative with other like cars. The really great thing about them is you can do it cheaply and the good parts are readily avalible. The rear is easy with shocks, springs, LCA's, panhard, torque arm and wheels and tires. Front with K-member, control arms, shocks, springs,wheels and tires, cobra brakes. There are many different anti-roll bar sizes to fine tune with. Chassis stiffening requires sub-frame connectors, reinforcing the torque boxes and maybe a strut bar. All of the above is really straight foward and easy to do. But---with only springs and shocks they are pretty good for a mass produced cheap domestic car and a blast to drive with the gas pedal. LSD is a clucth type that can be rebuilt or changed out to a Torsen or others. If you want bang for the buck the Mustang has to be the King of the low budget cars. My comparision for all this is that for about 10 years I auto-x'ed a 911. Brakes-$3k Suspension--more then $5k Torsen-$2k some minor engine mods-$4k and it goes on. Working on the Mustang is so simple compare to a 911 or the BMW's I worked on. If you are expecting the feel of a RX-7 in a Mustang you won't get that lightness feeling but you will feel the torque and you hardly ever have to shift. Long story short--yes you can make a Mustang handle good and be an extremly fun car.

Take a look at corral.net and go to the Roadrace/auto-x forum for lots of info. There are some great vids in there from about a month ago if you want to see how a lightly prepared Mustang runs at Road Atlanta.