4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

correct gear for speedo

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
DrUnkEnMaStEr69
2nd Gear Member

Default correct gear for speedo

i got my 3.73 put in awhile ago and the speedo is like 5 off, where can i find the correct speedo gear to fix this, like where can i buy it? its a mechanical speedo cuz its a 98. THANKS!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: correct gear for speedo

You can either get a speed re-calibrater or buy a hand held tuner. The tuners will adjust your speeder for the gears.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:58 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

DALLAS MUSTANG SPEEDCAL
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hdawg06

You can either get a speed re-calibrater or buy a hand held tuner. The tuners will adjust your speeder for the gears.
Hey noobie, he has a 98, the speedometer can not be recalibrated with a tuner, he needs a new speedo gear. I am not trying to be a ***** here, but I hate it when people give incorrect advice. It bugs the sh** out of me when everyone tries to give advice that is completely wrong, some guy was telling everyone earlier that the modulars came stock with headers, not exhaust manifolds. grr..... Please, just make sure you know what you are talking about before you open your mouth.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:45 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dragon02GT

Hey noobie, he has a 98, the speedometer can not be recalibrated with a tuner, he needs a new speedo gear. I am not trying to be a ***** here, but I hate it when people give incorrect advice. It bugs the sh** out of me when everyone tries to give advice that is completely wrong, some guy was telling everyone earlier that the modulars came stock with headers, not exhaust manifolds. grr..... Please, just make sure you know what you are talking about before you open your mouth.
Dude, sorry, but you are sooo wrong. They do make a speedcal and tuner that will work on a 98. Check out www.mustangtuning.com [&:]
Old 05-09-2006, 01:05 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

haha his name was like 97targa or somthing. i sware he comes on hear just to tell peaple false stuff or tries to act smart about it and gets it wrong everytime.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

Dude, sorry, but you are sooo wrong. They do make a speedcal and tuner that will work on a 98. Check out www.mustangtuning.com [&:]
Ok, I looked but cannot find what you are talking about. I am 99% sure that any pre 99 stang cannot be recalibrated for gears with a tuner. I was informed numerous times that any stang without a digital odometer (pre 99 stangs) cannot be speedo recalibrated with a tuner. The 99+ stangs use a sensor in the tranny to detect the speed of the gears to determine MPH. The pre 99's use a gear in the tranny to calculate MPH. Maybe I am wrong, and if I am I am sorry, but I am pretty sure that you need a new gear. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, and if so, I have learned something today. DrUnkEnMaStEr69 even said in his post it is a mechanical speedo, so I am pretty sure I am correct.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:26 PM
DrUnkEnMaStEr69
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

Ok, I looked but cannot find what you are talking about. I am 99% sure that any pre 99 stang cannot be recalibrated for gears with a tuner. I was informed numerous times that any stang without a digital odometer (pre 99 stangs) cannot be speedo recalibrated with a tuner. The 99+ stangs use a sensor in the tranny to detect the speed of the gears to determine MPH. The pre 99's use a gear in the tranny to calculate MPH. Maybe I am wrong, and if I am I am sorry, but I am pretty sure that you need a new gear. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, and if so, I have learned something today. DrUnkEnMaStEr69 even said in his post it is a mechanical speedo, so I am pretty sure I am correct.
You are absolutely right, I need to find the correct gear that goes in my rear end so that the speedo will be right, so far ive had no luck finding it
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

DrUnkEnMaStEr69,

Brothers performance claims their SpeedCal will work for your application, but I would verify that with them first.

Here's the link: http://www.brothersperformance.com/c...oducts_id/1327