4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake Manifold Replacement COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:14 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default Intake Manifold Replacement COMPLETE

shes purrin again, and i sure love how she sounds.

received my manifold from ups late, 5pm, and finished her by 8, even with the hour it took to find the alternator bolts in the trash bag i was using. everything went smooth, changed my spark plugs and drive belt during this process.

only other problems other than the alternator bolts were...mantaining confidence in my mechanic skills while turning the key after it was all said and done. AND sadly i had a few pits in the cylinder head and my only choice was to clean em out as best as i could, jb weld it, sand it, and go with it, even with the pits around the front driver side water jacket, there was no leaks from it orginally, so i just hope the jb weld does what its made for and holds up, i sure as hell made sure to do it right, considering i was working on my cylinder head. i guess i can plan on pulling a head at a junkyard in the future if it doesnt. the stang definitely runs a little smoother, probably thanks to new plugs and a clean intake to suck air through.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake Manifold Replacement COMPLETE

what kind of intake was it that you were putting on?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Very nice, congrats.

What did you feel was the most difficult part of this project?

Any minor things you might have learned in the process that might help others?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:49 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

just a replacement manifold, no power gains, just had a cracked one.

i learned a lot bout my stang on this project. drive belt takes 2 minutes to change, always thought it would be hard for some reason. spark plugs are amazingly simple. i also learned that theres a lil spacer/gasket in the electrical connecter on the fuel injectors, dont lose em if you disconnect that, they come out willingly! i need to make a trip to a junkyard to find one since they are no where to be found.

i basically have a much better idea of how the top part of your engine works, one day i'd love to dig deeper into her.

amazing it was easy to take apart, had the tear down done in 2 hrs, could of had the heads out in another 2. im definitely an as amatuer as they come, so if i can accomplish this task, im sure anyone can. if i had to do it again i could do the tear down in probably 1 hr, and put it back together in 1.5 =p

when i blew out the spark plug journals w/ compressed air so much dirt flew out, and it wasnt from me, and i dont think that much dirt can get in around the boots, made me almost cry, lol, damn mechanics. always do your own work, or take it to a shop you really trust, bah.

i torqued everything by the book as far as what bolted onto the manifold, the rest i torqued to what i thought was best.

the new manifold has the new smell, mmmmm so much better than smelling antifreeze
Old 05-10-2006, 03:53 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

oh and the most difficult part was, please dont laugh...the heater hose, the clamp was facing back to the engine, and i had to scratch my head for a while to figure how i was gonna latch onto it w/ my pliers, it was by FAR the hardest most frustrating thing, other than losing my alternator bolts in the trash bag for an hour =x

seriously the rest was so easy, the connectors are a no brainer, its all self explainatory if you can identify your tb/alternator/thermstat housing/fuel rail/coil plugs, its like the first time you have sex, or jump in a cold pool, you get the jitters, but once you're in, its all gravy baby.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:56 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

one day i'd love to dig deeper into her.
The story of my life...

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Good luck with the new intake.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:46 PM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

Great to hear it went well for you. What did you use as a reference? Manual or online?

I need to replace my intake as well.

Thanks for the help!!

Jason