4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Heads and Cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:25 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Heads and Cams

ORIGINAL: Dragon02GT

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

What do you guys mean by changing the gear when dealing with heads and cams??
They mean changing the gear ratio in the rear end, i.e. 3.73 or 4.10 from the stock 3.27. The stage 2 cam has a powerband that kicks in higher than the stage 1 cam becasue of the longer duration that the valves are open for. The higher gear ratio in the rear end will help you get up into the powerband of the stage 2 cams much quicker than the stock gears, thus allowing you to take better advantage of the stage 2 cams.
Oh I already knew that, I think I j ust had a brain fart.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:51 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xkon

ORIGINAL: BCisme

you'll need a gear and spring upgrade for stage II's. since you have valvetrain damage already, i'd do springs even with a stage I. that's not a bad price for a head and cam swap. i'd have them ported and throw in some stage II cams and springs of you can afford gears and a re tune. if the gears are not an option, stay with stage I's.
would stage 2 cams be out of my RPM range since i dont have a forged bottom end?

no, they are fine for stock operating range, the stage II's duration is just a bit too aggresive for the stock springs. if you wanted to rev higher than 6200, like say 7K, you'd be better off with a hotter cam anyways. most likely a custom grind.

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

What do you guys mean by changing the gear when dealing with heads and cams??
with a stage II or hotter cam, the engine needs to be above 2K rpm's while under load to run smoothly.

basically, if you try to drive down the street in 4th gear @ 30 mph turning 1600 rpms, the car will buck and jerk like crazy. with my comp 270's, i could get away with turning maybe 2K while cruising in gear. with my 278's it's tricky to cruise below 2200. 4.10's are best for my cam with my T45, 3.73's barely do the job.if i were you i'd get 4.10's since your an auto if you want a stage II cam.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:43 PM
xkon
2nd Gear Member

i just talked to scott from VT and he recommended stage 2 heads and cams and replace the comp springs with crower. He also said that the peak power would be under 6000 and would be fine with the stock gears. If thats all true i think i am going to go that route. What all would i need to make this work, obviously the heads and cams, two head gaskets, and stud bolts? Do you think going with crower springs are necessary?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

VT...FTW
Old 05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

i just talked to scott from VT and he recommended stage 2 heads and cams and replace the comp springs with crower. He also said that the peak power would be under 6000 and would be fine with the stock gears. If thats all true i think i am going to go that route. What all would i need to make this work, obviously the heads and cams, two head gaskets, and stud bolts? Do you think going with crower springs are necessary?
yea get the springs. you need them with a stage II cams. you dont want the stock ones to fail on you, trust me.

and about the gears, especially being an auto, if you go stage II cams you'll wish you had those gears, trust me.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:31 PM
xkon
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BCisme

yea get the springs. you need them with a stage II cams. you dont want the stock ones to fail on you, trust me.

and about the gears, especially being an auto, if you go stage II cams you'll wish you had those gears, trust me.
"Stage 2 CNC ported Windsor core heads. Flow 220/195 cfm. Come completely assembled with Ferrea stainless valves and Comp valve springs. Minus rockers and lifters. Outright priced - no core required."

Thats what it says it comes with, so are the springs they have not as good as the crowers? also, would i have to buy rockers and lifters? As for the gears, im gonna go with 4.10s eventually, just need to get some more money. Thanks for your help btw, its much appreciated
Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

you dont need new lifters or cam followers. the crower spring VT is reccomending to you is probably stiffer than those com springs. i had to ditch the comp springs when i upgraded my cam from comp 270's to 278's. i urge you to get those gears with little or no delay between them and your headswap. if you are having a shop do the work, talk them into giving you a good deal on labor for the gears, since they are making some good labor from the swap.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 PM
xkon
2nd Gear Member

is it true i also need to upgrade to 30lb injectors with stage 2 heads and cams?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

it would be a good idea. 300 rwhp is pushing the stockers to the max. with 30 lbers they wont be working overtime and you'll have room for improvement. i have 30 lbers.