4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What exhaust is in your convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What exhaust is in your convertible?

ORIGINAL: Larmo

Thanks again, Gaspi.... so based on that logic, I may want to rethink my planned next mod, a CAI. If you're saying my system can't "expell" enough airflow as of right now, why would I want to push more air into it with a CAI? Does this make sense?

I'm going to put on a SLP LM II for now and see how that goes. Then, maybe a CAI w/ tune and then if I get crazy an x-pipe (likely high-flo catted since I have a vert).

You got it. But you should know something: Our mustangs aren't that asthmatic, either with the air coming in or going out. By that, I mean that both ends, intake and exhaust, are not as restricted as everyone seems to think, and the aftermarket market would tell you. By placing a CAI, you will note little to no results also. In fact, the intake assembly on your mustan IS a cold air intake. Just because it's metal and shiny doesn't make the aftermarket part more efficient. What I would do if I were you is to get a K&N filter and put that in. That will give you the same results as putting in an aftermarket CAI with an aftermarket filter. Essentially, in a stock stang, the only restrictive thing is its filter.

If we're talking about performance modifications in the air induction and exhaust system, the filter is the only thing that is clogging up the system. But even that is terribly small an obstruction. I wouldn't even call it that. So, even with a K&N filter, you won't really have the "need" for a bigger exhaust. Factory stangs aren't underpowered for that reason--that's because of the engine's compression, valve timing, etc.

My recommendation: Do the exhaust and a K&N filter--not for the performance, but for the satisfaction it will bring you in the driving experience (sound and all). If you truly want performance and don't have deep pockets (lord knows I don't!), the best mods for a stock stang are underdrive pulleys and a modified gear/pinion ratio. The former will give you a REAL 20hp, and the latter, although it won't give you ANY extra horsepower, it will definitely make your car accelerate a LOT faster.

Bottom line: The only time you will notice big gains from an exhaust system is if you supercharge/turbocharge/nitrous the engine, or if you port your heads to have a higher compression (and thus bigger "lungs," so to speak). Don't mess around with bigger throttle bodies, MAFs, or bigger intake manifolds until you do any of these four mods.

However, I'm a big believer in getting satisfaction from just working on your car. The point of it need not be bigger hp numbers or acceleration, but rather changing your car so as to make the driving experience more enjoyable.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:22 PM
BoBalls08
2nd Gear Member

03 gt vert with bbk shorty headers, o/r mac x-pipe into 40 seris flowmaster. sounds bad ***. i'll see if i can post some noise on here when i get home from work....
Old 08-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Larmo

Thanks again, Gaspi.... so based on that logic, I may want to rethink my planned next mod, a CAI. If you're saying my system can't "expell" enough airflow as of right now, why would I want to push more air into it with a CAI? Does this make sense?

Read this again. Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. No, I'm not at all saying that your system can't expell enough airflow right now. I am saying the OPPOSITE. I am saying that the stock system does a more than adequate job of letting the air that is taken in to be expelled. Even with a bigger air intake system, the stock exhaust can handle it just fine. That's why I said that for real performance gains, the exhaust must be accompanied by some form of forced induction, richer fuel mixture, or higher compression ratio.

But by all means, put whichever one you want first--the CAI or the exhaust. You'll have more fun with the exhaust, but with neither will you actually have any noticeable power gains. :-) Does that make sense?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:46 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: d3mon

I have a 2k vert with a slp exhaust check this out

Exhaust

is pretty much normal, i have a pretty good stereo with 2 12" in the trunk and i can hear them perfectly, of course i need more volume in the highway with the top down
Old 09-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

02 Vert with catted H-pipe from MRT and Magnaflow cat-back. Sounds great once I got rid of the dreaded 2000 rpm drone.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:37 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

GO SLP II with a prochamber. somewhat tame at a stop until you lauch and scare the hell out of everybody. I had flow's b4 and they sounded good(old school), but they don't compare to SLP. The sound is very unique and the quality is great.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
BBZracing
1st Gear Member

Love LOVE Love my entire setup (sound & performance)!!!

Get compliments everyday from strangers....

Now I just need to get my heads and cam done and I'm done....that will be my winter project.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:44 PM
blacllkllsi
3rd Gear Member

I got ***** sumthin' full MAC exhaust for the win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-HVEuKoi7s
Old 09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
BBZracing
1st Gear Member

Sounds great!!! A bit raspier than mine (didn't say better or worse...lol)...I will have my wife take vid over the long weekend and post so you can hear the difference.

Sounds real nice though!!!