4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I think its gonna blow...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default I think its gonna blow...

I think i've got a serious problem. A few weeks ago my car started making a loud rattling noise (pretty sure its from under the hood). So i parked it and checked the oil, so my surprise there was no oil in it. So #1, my oil pressure guage is useless because it was right in the middle where its supposed to be the whole time. It leaked out around the oil filter, cause it was a mess when I got down there and looked at it.

This rattling noise was so loud it overpowerd the x pipe/cat back at WOT. So, I figured i really put some wear on the engine and decided to get some thicker oil to help out. I grabbed some rp 20w50 and threw it in. Only problem is (and yes i knew it at the time) thats too thick for early mornings and cooler days up here in the NE. However, it did correct the problem, the noise was almost completely gone.

Having that thick oil in it was bothering me though, so today i decided to change it (idle was also rough on cold days) to rp 10w30. Car idles better now but the rattling noise is back. I can olnly describe it as a loud rattling sound from the engine that gets louder as the rpms rise. In 2nd gear (for example, its a problem in all gears) from 500rpm up at WOT everythig sounds normal until about 4000 rpm, thats when the noise starts and its overpoweringly loud at 4500rpm to redline.

With the car in neutral, just sitting there reving it, there is no rattle until the second i let off the gas. Once i let off the rattling noise starts for a second or two but not nearly as loud as WOT in gear. Also if i rev it up to say 3000rpm and hold it there its ok until i back off the gas just a bit just to keep the rpm at 3000. Once its actually there it rattles again with slight throttle. If i punch it from there though the rattling goes away until i let off for and it rattles for a sec as it idles down.

Its like in neutral with slight throttle it rattles and in gear at wot it rattles above 4000rpm. It also rattles beween shifts when I accelerate then back off on the gas/press the clutch in and keep going. Its really weird that the thicker oil fixed the problem. any idea what it could be? Ill try to get some sound clips somehow. thanks
Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I think its gonna blow...

This is a classic "Not enough Oil in Motor" sound. Make sure you filled it properly and I don't know how cold it is where you are but read your oil cap, my 02 4.6 sure doesn't say 10w30 on it.

Good luck, start with making sure you have proper oil amount.

E.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

did you make sure you tightened the filter correctly, and made sure the old filter's O ring seal was removed? This happened to a guys stang at the hobby shop and he had similiar problems, the oil leaked out because he had a "double seal" causing problems.

Oh, and use 5w30 or 5w20 up north. Im from RI originally, trust me use those oils :P
Old 05-18-2006, 09:31 PM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

did you make sure you wiped off the filter mount and took the old filter gasket off? if not, your gonna blow your filter off soon.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

hmm, well my oil cap doesnt say anything about the proper weight to use. when I bought the oil i asked the guy at napa what ford recommended. He did his thing on the computer and said it was 10w30.

Theres definately enough oil in it now, with a new filter and no leaks. So I'm assuming i did some kind of damage to the engine. I just dont know why it was fine with the 20w50 and now its f'ed again with the 10w30.

I was thinking maybe it was a spun bearing but that would make noise all of the time regardless of load or rpm right? It almost sound like something is loose inside and only rattles at high rpm under load or deceleration. Is there anything inside that could loosen and cause this?

Could it be totaly unrelated to the engine and be more of a transmission/clutch thing? Its hard to tell where the noise is coming from but it sounds like the engine. thanks.