4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cornfused???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

Default cornfused???!!!

im getting ready to order a full exhaust system from rpm outlet and i know very little about 02 sensors. im gonna get bbk lt's with a new x/h pipe dont know which yet, i dont have emissions anymore so i was thinking no cats, is this a good idea?? my second question under what circumstances do i need 02 simulators and or 02 extensions, do i need one or the other or both, with or without cats?? and i have flow master muffs right now and i really like how they sound, not a big fan of the loud raspy sound. will these be ok or should i go with slp powerflo muffs. will the slp's give more performance than the flows?? someone please help me im lost on the 02 sensors!! i need some direction.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:59 AM
LilGuysWearBowTies
1st Gear Member

Default RE: cornfused???!!!

You need O2 extensions with the long tubes since the factory wires are not long enough. This goes on the front O2 sensors only. You need rear O2 simulators called MIL eliminators for the rear O2 sensors if you do not have catalytic converters. Stick with the flows. After the long tubes and the mid pipes and IF (Thats a big if, isn't it) you dont like the flow masters sound, change it.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:13 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the info i think that about covers it!! so IF i get high flow cats do i still need the simulators too or just use stock?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

if you got cats at all you need normal O2 sensors. If you run "off/road" pipes, you need MIL eliminators or a tuner to turn off ur rear O2 sensors
Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 AM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

if you got cats at all you need normal O2 sensors. If you run "off/road" pipes, you need MIL eliminators or a tuner to turn off ur rear O2 sensors

So an SCT tuner will turn off the rear 02 sensor for me? Or would I have to get a performance shop to do the 02 eliminator on the tuner?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:30 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hdawg06
So an SCT tuner will turn off the rear 02 sensor for me? Or would I have to get a performance shop to do the 02 eliminator on the tuner?
The tuner could do that for you.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:23 PM
redgt2000
2nd Gear Member

i have a peadator tuner but do not use it for the rear o2's, i bought steeda mil eliminators for like 60 bucks they work great,
ive heard mixed things about using the tuner, things like "they dont turn them off all the way" but the book claims it does. ive never tried though
Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

i have a peadator tuner but do not use it for the rear o2's, i bought steeda mil eliminators for like 60 bucks they work great,
ive heard mixed things about using the tuner, things like "they dont turn them off all the way" but the book claims it does. ive never tried though
The predator tuner will turn them off but most people don't read the manual.. the manual clearly states that you have to turn off the 02 config AND Heater bank 1 and Heater bank 2.... but most people just turn off the 02 config and thats it..

I have steeda mil eliminators also but that is because I got the midpipe before the tuner..

im getting ready to order a full exhaust system from rpm outlet and i know very little about 02 sensors. im gonna get bbk lt's with a new x/h pipe dont know which yet, i dont have emissions anymore so i was thinking no cats, is this a good idea?? my second question under what circumstances do i need 02 simulators and or 02 extensions, do i need one or the other or both, with or without cats?? and i have flow master muffs right now and i really like how they sound, not a big fan of the loud raspy sound. will these be ok or should i go with slp powerflo muffs. will the slp's give more performance than the flows?? someone please help me im lost on the 02 sensors!! i need some direction.
A couple questions you need to ask yourself...

o/r or catted midpipe: If you are not required to pass emmissions in your area then just go with an o/r pipe (without cats). It will sound better and give you a couple extra ponies. a catted midpipe (high flow or not) you do not need a tuner or mil eliminator for the rear 02's. An o/r midpipe you need either a tuner or mil eliminators to turn off the rear 02's

X or H: an X-pipe is what I have and sounds good and gives you most hp gains but some people think it is a little raspy.. an H-pipe is only a couple of hp less and will give you a deeper tone.

I have no idea about the extensions.. I did not need them using stock headers.. if you are using aftermarket headers then I dunno.

hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:28 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

so are you still CORNfused?? someone had to give you a hard time about it, it might as well be me
Old 05-25-2006, 09:10 PM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys i think its all cleared up now!!!