4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Front left suspension problem... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Stangmeister

Default Front left suspension problem... HELP!!!

Hey guys, i tried this thread out in the saleen forum but i'm just not getting the hits i need to figure this out.

Here's my problem. The front left is making this rattle type noise when i'm driving down the road. It feels like something is seriously loose on the car. it's also moaning and creaking when i turn the wheel on uneven surfaces. i took it to chicane but joe wan't able to diagnose it and said everything was tight.

I took joe around the block and at the very end of the drive he heard it and thought it might be the upper shock mount bushing. In the saleen forum someone else said it might be the hub bearing. i found a TSB and called the dealer but their information just said to retorque everything.

Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it???? I describe it as feeling like the rotor is loose and rattling while driving. you can really hear it when go over those little bumps in the road and i can feel it in the pedals.

Somebody please help me, the service guy at the dealer was a jerk and i can't figure this one out on my own.

THanks
CJ
Old 06-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Front left suspension problem... HELP!!!

sorry dud i don't know
Old 06-23-2006, 11:59 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Rattle's can be a couple of things. First, check you caliper, then check the hub bearing nut (if its servicable), sway bar link, tie-rods, balljoint, on some cars you can grab the spring towards the top yank it back and forth to see if the strut mount is bad, you could even try that too. Anyway, mustang balljoints will NEVER feel loose. They have a wear indicator at the bottom, its a little mound thing in the center. I forget which way its supposed to go, havent done mine in like 6 years. But if youre at a stand still and you move the steering wheel back and forth and it creaks, I guarantee your balljoint is bad and NEEDS to be replaced. Seeing as you give no description of your car I'm not sure what else to tell you.
-P.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:23 AM
Stangmeister

well, i have an 01 saleen with about 50k miles on it. all stock. but yes, when i turn the wheel from a stand still, especially when backing into my garage on a little incline, the steering creaks. but the rattle as i drive down the road is just killing me.

Looks like tomorrow i'm gonna sit in my garage with the car on the ramps and a couple cans of beer and just start checking every bolt i can get a rench on until i find something.

we'll see what happens.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:13 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

What's the mileage?? What's the area you drive it at like, potholes, curbs, smooth??

P-Zero hit the nail on the head I think on this one, although I may be leaning a little bit towards the springs/isolators are at fault.

But...

Check your ball joints well....

JT
Old 06-24-2006, 02:47 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

my buddys trans am does the same thing i'll give him a call n see what it was
Old 06-24-2006, 06:31 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

just talked to my buddy. with his issue it was the control arm bushings
Old 06-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Stangmeister

Control arm bushings huh. Looks like now i have about 3 or 4 different things it could be.

I crawled under the car yesterday and checked everything out, even took the wheel off but couldn't find anything. Looks like i'm going to have to suck it up and pay the dealer to diagnose it. It's not worth the headache anymore.