4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what should I look for..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Rustang

Default what should I look for..

Im most likely going to look at my first Stang on Monday. Its a 96 GT. Its sorta a mutant
It has cobra fenders and hood, aftermarket sunroof, borla side exhuast w/ with svo rocker panels and a boss wing [sm=smiley24.gif] Its an aode. mileage is unknown at this point. Its also lowered and has neons [sm=smiley26.gif] (neons will be off first day)

What are the weak points of a Stang? What should I really really check. Kinda concerned that its lowered, but it looks really sharp. Sunroof could be another. But what about under the hood or on the test drive. Help me not buy a mechanical turd. I got 1 of them already
Old 05-02-2004, 01:15 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: what should I look for..

Depends on what you mean by a weak point. I had a 98 with a aode and went through two transmissions. I believe base hp is 220 at the flywheel, is that where you want to start.
I ran my car hard sometimes, but mainly highway miles and still went through two trans. I ran 15.25 to 15.55 in the quarter mile, kind of weak. Side exhaust sounds cool, IM not to much into dressing up the car for something its not. Thats just me. I don't know what kind of money you have to buy a car, but I don't suggest buying 96-98 gt. Go with something
2000 and above if you want to start at a stronger base. I don't care for the neons either. Mileage could or couldn't be a factor depending on how the guy ragged it. Pop the hood
and check the reciepts on the car for service performed and find out if it's been in any wrecks.
Theres a ton of stuff you can check, but it comes down to what kind of money you want to spend and how much you gona upgrade. Test drive the car, your gona either like it or think its slow as hell. Good luck.......
Old 05-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

I have a 98 and i wish i waited to buy a newer one. My 98 gt with the mods below posts a time of 14.8. I can do better, but nothing less than a 14.5-6i think. check to see if the intake leaks coolant. and if it skips. Make sure the pinion seal doesnt leak. no leaks on the trans. I'd really recommend bringing it to a dealership and pay what ever it costs to have them do a used car check if they can. That way there they can pick it to pieces.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:48 PM
stangnoob
1st Gear Member

I'd stay away from it. Sounds like a kid has owned it to me, i dont know how many older people throw neons on a mustang [:'(]

Thats kind of generalizing but, alot of the time its the truth. IF you dont want to buy a piece of trash then just stay away from buying such a "pimped out" used car like this. Try to buy it from an old man, or maybe even a dealship(even though there overpriced)

There are plenty of mustangs out there, you don't have to rush into buying one
Old 05-02-2004, 03:50 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

yeah im with him ^^^^^