4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

best brand supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:54 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: best brand supercharger

ORIGINAL: Rusmisel01GT

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I guess I just don't get the sound/looks thing, I did have all the boltons and cams in before I even tinted the windows

I just don't think you guys realise what a huge decision this is. Unless you are simply made of money, this is a purchase you probably only will make once. I can't tell you how hard it was to give MPH my credit card number for a four thousand dollar toy (let alone the 6K+ for a KB unit).

Pick your catback for sound. Pick your midpipe for sound. But not your blower.

BTW, there IS something to be said about having a high horsepower stealthy car. I can't count how many times I wished the SQ was acutally quieter. Every time I roll up to a stoplight with someone that knows ANYTHING about cars and performance, thats the first thing they ask, and then they won't race. It kinda sucks really, there is just so much to be said for raping a guy in a LS1 or high end ricer etc that has absolutly no idea what is coming.

I don't think I have had a better time with the blower on the car than my run in with that GTO driver in my hometown. Guy had absolutly no clue what was about to happen to him, and the look on his face after we put 10 or so busslenghts on him was simply priceless.

Everyone seems to want the loudest blower, the loudest exhaust, etc etc. I want something that I can drive around town in (without using earplugs) and not get noticed until I want to get noticed.
I see where your comin from... that would be nice to see the other driver in a daze after flying by them within seconds... i dont know im more of a N/A guy anyways... your happiness destroying that GTO would be my happiness beating an LS1 not using boost/nitrous, but thats just me.
You mean like this?

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....F-629C2D2957FE

I could put it pretty bad on him from a stop really. You don't need anything fancy to beat a stock LS1, espcially from a dig when its an auto car. And I didn't even have the "driver" mod really installed that night, cause the TKO was still new, and I don't powershift my 1800 dollar transmission.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Thats bad ***!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:09 AM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

6k? Is that how much a kb is? I really didn't pay that much attention because I wrote a check for 15k for all the mods I bought for the car that month. I had never been in a KB car before I bought mine so I went only on what I had gotten from research and what others who had built mustangs had thought about them. I built the car which was bone stock for fun. I own a few other cars so I don't need it to be daily driver. Basically I built it to beat the crap out of it. The car runs like a champ, the boost is there when I want it, and the car is a blast to drive. I would say the kb sounds good but between the suction from the CAI and my exhaust I really can't hear it. In fact the C5 got driven so infrequently I got rid of it to get another Suv. I won't say a centri sucks. I don't have one. But I can say I like the kb. It hasn't givin me any problems and the car kicks the crap out of anything else I have run into. Except for a bmw that sounded like it had a turbo, not much gets past me. If your going to have an opinion about something then have something to have an opinion about. The I have a friend or I heard... what is that? Its crap. Also, if you are buying a sc based on price, don't do it. If you settle for something less that what you want you will never be happy.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

IMO there is no 'best' supercharger..

I researched long and hard before I decided to order my supercharger.. After talking with people, reading articles and checking prices I decided to go w/ Procharger.. The complete kit was about $4k and just under $4,900 for the kit, fuel injectors and a bigger fuel pump..

I think KB makes a good product and a cool sound but they are expensive.. The kits I were looking at, best as I can remember, were about $6k.. Quite a bit more then my Procharger.. As far as performance, I think they are pretty much the same.. I just got done reading that MM&FF article and both cars seem to product the exact same power.. So, exact same power and $2k less is a no brainer to me..

I know the KB offers instant power at lower RPMs and the Procharger starts @ about 3k RPMs. However, when you take off from a dig your only below 3k RPMs for less than a second or two.. Thus, are you really getting that much more performance out of a KB? I'm thinking not.. Not to mention if you have a set of gears, 4.10s in my case, then starting off from a dig isn't an issue.. Someone posted a SUPER article not to long ago.. I went back and tried to find it but couldn't.. It basically broke down the different superchargers.. The basic gist of it stated the KB style, twin screw, arn't as efficent as the centi. superchargers..

As far as the sound goes.. Yeah, KB at WOT is pretty F'n cool if you ask me.. But, you have to be at WOT to hear it.. I personally like the sound of the Procharger at idol.. That sweet 'zingggggggggggggggggg' while sitting at a traffic light makes me just about cream my pants..

I thought long and hard and just felt Procharger was the right brand for me.. I even spoke to 2000GT4.6, seeing he seems to know his stuff, to see what he thought.. I ended up against the Vortech he suggested, but that was ONLY because I didn't want a water intercooler..

Go with what you think is best.. Based on price, overall public opinion and design I decided on the Procharger.. But what ever you buy and bolt on I'm sure you will be happy..
Old 07-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

quote:

ORIGINAL: GTowner4life

Kenne bell and procharger shoot out

That article was the biggest joke I have ever seen, I am surprised they even let it run. Both cars had major issues and broke down at least once at the track, and both were running right on the ragged edge (hence the breakdowns). I didn't even really see the point other than to show that the cars could run impressive times.
One thing that this article demonstrates is how capable twin screw setups are at the track. Hey, with less boost they bettered the centrifugal's best time. It takes more skill to get a twin screw car from A to B, but they are track capable, just like centrifugals. (something I have been trying to explain to this forum for 3 years, the article makes my point for me.)
Old 07-16-2006, 02:14 AM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

i dont know if theres a BEST..but if i was gonna buy a supercharger for my car i would go with the kennebell or however u spell it..i think those are the ones that come in s/c cobras..correct me if im wrong plz =]
Old 07-16-2006, 03:09 AM
Jskeezy84
2nd Gear Member

^^^^ no they dont come in cobras but they do make an upgrade