4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

KENNE BELL SUPERCHARGER FOR ME!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:39 PM
alfromcal846
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: KENNE BELL SUPERCHARGER FOR ME!!!!!

so if a stock gt just slapped on a 1.7 kb and ran it at 9 psi intercooled are you gonne get 400 rwhp?.

also how long and tough are these kb superchargers
Old 07-25-2006, 07:45 PM
firstonraceday96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangerdad

Hi guys! Ok, i have decided to go ahead and buy a kenne bell supercharger for my 2002 gt. How is this gonna change my car? I mean what can i expect from this?? Also i am gonna have to seriously budget to afford this upgrade. How many of you had to save your pennies and put them away and were you satisfied after you got your supercharger put on. Was the wait worth it?? thanks!
EXPECT TO SH*T YOUR PANTS !!! CONGRATS...
Old 07-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

I know a thing or two about this.
The Saleen Series IV kit is 1.6L intercooled twin screw. It is substantially slower than the KB 1.7L intercooled kit at the same PSI. I've personally raised my Saleen kit to KB levels HOWEVER, it cost me quite a bit more than 1000 to do it. A pulley and belt, A full exhaust, A cold air intake, a throttlebody, bigger injectors, colder spark plugs, a new fuel pump, a new MAF, extensive tuning, and eventually it came down to a new heat-exchanger (the one inside the intake manifold) to bring me to the point where I can run with the KB.
My stockish Saleen kit made 327 rwhp and 341 torque (and these were good numbers for the kit). My mods brought me to 408 rwhp and 411 torque but it took quite a while to get the work done.
For reference, 400+ rwhp is realistic with a KB kit at 9 PSI intercooled on an otherwise COMPLETELY STOCK mustang GT. It can be installed in your driveway with a set of hand-tools from sears.

ORIGINAL: 4ZZS

Stangerdad, I think I am going to choose the same route you are leaning towards... KenneBell 1.7
I think the basics say that if you want performance on the STREET, get one of the twin screw units (KB or Saleen), but if you want performance at the STRIP, get the centrif unit (ProCharger).
I am sucking the rare air of Colorado and definitely need some help.
I know someone who did lots of research before he chose the KB. He was extremely pleased with the service he got directly from KB during his self-install and his track times prove he got what he paid for. He got the KB Big Tube, Switch Chip, Boost-A-Pump and a few other goodies.
I have been considering the Texas Hot Rod group buy of the Saleen S/C. I haven't been able to get all my questions answered about that unit yet though. I will be calling Saleen directly this afternoon. I have not found any "proof" of what their unit will actually do. It appears that the price difference between the KB and Saleen units would end up being about 1K after all is said and done. Is the KB worth an extra 1K??? No one has been able to give a definitive answer, but most think it might be worth it. (If someone has two cars and buys one of each, maybe we'll actually find out!) If I go the KB route I won't be asking myself, "What if..." all the time.
Good Luck and after we're done installing ________ let's make sure we come back to the Forums and tell everyone about it.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 AM
4ZZS
2nd Gear Member

Fallstar01, thanks for the info that confirms I made the right choice by calling my order in to Kenne Bell - TODAY.
The Kenne Bell unit has been upgraded from 1.7L to 2.1L within the last month. It will still fit under the stock hood. The slightly larger size will allow it to run a little cooler.
I had lots of questions for the guys at KB, but I got good straight answers from both Robert and James. As Derf00 mentioned above, the www.kennebell.net website has lots and lots of information.
It costs more than some of the others, but I shouldn't have to do any of the additions you had the pleasure of doing.

So, in a few weeks it will be "DRIVEWAY AND SEARS TOOL TIME".

Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 PM
PURE VENOM

to answer your ? from the best of my knowledge its def worth the price... if you wanted to make it extremely nasty do pistons then upgrade some more things like fuel management and jack the boost up then you can sya bye bye to z06