4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 PM
chef444

Default HELP!!!!

Hey Guys,

Ok I have a 1996 Mustang conv GT that I have had the following work on:

1) Pullies
2) 80mm Mass air
3) CAI (k and N)
4) performance phloem (sic) with 75mm throttle body
5) 99+ heads
6) 3 stage port job by fox lake-
7) VT cam stage 1
8) midlength headers
9) x-pipe with cats
10) Performance exhuast
11) 39lbs injectors
12) Saleen suspension system
13- had performance chip which I removed

Problem misfire in cylinder 4.

Now just before I blew up my engine two years ago I have this problem, but was able to get it to pass smog before the light would come on.

I had a new engine rebuilt (they took it apart and built is from the ground up) and added the larger injectors, and the VT cam, and still came back with a misfire on cylinder 4.

the only thing that is the same is the engine computer, and the coil packs (96 had two coil packs).

My mechanic say he can not feel any misfire when he drives the car around, and I myself an not sure what a misfire feels like. At first he felt it was the computer being too sensitive, so he had it reprogrammed at the ford dealership, yet it still comes back.

Any body know what is going on? I am at my wits end.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!!!!

Dead spot in your coilpack is my guess.. It happens.. It will most likely not trigger a CEL, unless it's for a misfire.

If you can, try swapping the coil packs (unfamiliar w/ the 96-98 coilpack design). If you can swap them around, see if you get a misfire on another cylinder instead....

JT
Old 08-09-2006, 10:04 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I know this seems odd, but what kind of pulleys do you have? I had the MAC aluminum piggybacks on my 2004 for about a month. They caused a vibration which the crankshaft position sensor picked up and cause a misfire code. I can't say that is the problem, but it's something to consider. If you have Steeda pulleys, then that's probably not the issue.

Another thought is the crank. Did you change it? What about the sensor?

This is all in addition to the coils and such, and just some ideas to think about.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:51 PM
chef444

Guys,

thanks for the input. As for what pullies I have I do not remember, I installed them so long ago. But I had them on the car for a year before this light ever came on.

As for the crank and sensers they are all new. When putting in a new motor we used all of the sensers that came with the motor. Curious, the vibration you had that gave you a misfire code, was it noticable?

The coils on the 96 are swapable so I did that last night, I will see if it causes a misifre in another piston.