4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need advice on suspension upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:18 AM
stangbnmalo
2nd Gear Member

Default Need advice on suspension upgrade...

Hi guys, i'm upgrading the suspension of my stang cause the set i have on it sucks big time, so far i have front and rear koni dual adjustable struts and shocks, sporline springs, steeda X2 ball joints anf bumpsteer kit, i'm looking for cc plater but don't know which brand is a nice one, any advice? let me know if i'm missing something and what do u think of the parts i'm planning to install and also how hard is this if i want to do it myself, i just have basic skills. THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE...

Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need advice on suspension upgrade...

Maximum Motorsports makes the best CC plates out there. Their 4 bolt plates are pretty standard for anyone looking to get the most out of a Mustang Suspension. It's very important that you dial in the alignment afterwards.

I seriously recommend you get full length subframe connectors (again Maximum Motorsports are the standard). These will remove flex which will not only extend the life of the frame, and thus the car, but it'll also really tie things together, and eliminate future squeaks or rattles.

Also, lower control arms are a must, there are several decent brands and these things do a great job of taming the rear and making it more predicatable.

Later down the line:
A bump steer kit would be nice.
You may want to look into a new rear sway bar. there are some adjustable ones out there that are pretty decent.
If you really get serious, a Torque arm/Pan hard bar would transform the rear of you car.
This should be enough info to get you started.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

MM CC plates FTW
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 AM
stangbnmalo
2nd Gear Member

i heard that replacing the bushings in the lower control arms is almost the same as getting new ones and a lot cheaper, it that right?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangbnmalo

i heard that replacing the bushings in the lower control arms is almost the same as getting new ones and a lot cheaper, it that right?
uhh, no. Take a look at the stock ones next to aftermarket ones. The stockers are laughable.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 AM
MustangMan528
2nd Gear Member

u've got sportline springs on the stock c/c plates???!!!!!! Man, you must be going through tires like crazy!!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:33 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallstar01

ORIGINAL: stangbnmalo

uhh, no. Take a look at the stock ones next to aftermarket ones. The stockers are laughable.
On the other hand, the uppers would do fine with new bushings. Don't bother replacing them, just make sure to get the tool that makes it easy to swap in better bushings into the uppers. However, you won't regret replacing the lowers. Some companies like granatelli sell inexpensive but effective lower control arms.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:00 AM
stangbnmalo
2nd Gear Member

Should i also replace any bushings in particular?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

If you haven't done anything yet...??? Your in for a big surprise. The ball joints need to be pressed out and in. I couldn't budge mine with a hand rental from local store. I had to have a machine shop press them out with a hydraulic press. You have to completely remove the entire front supension "control arms", and to take the springs out I had to wrap them with a nylon strap several times to keep them compressed because I couldn't find a spring compressor that would work. You have to take the steering rack off as well to get the control arm bolts out. Don't remove any lines from the rack, just the 2 bolts up front and the bolt that holds the shft in place. Mark it first before you remove it and unhook your neg. post for airbag purposes. Sport line springs?????? Are you looking for an extremely rough ride? That's up to you, but with that low of a suspension and those balljoints you aren't going to find any C/C plates that will bring your factory settings back. You will always have that angled in look at the top of your wheels as well as a positive caster. I did 1.5 inches and mine are only slightly off with BBK plates. I don't mind slightly since it makes it handle better. This will take you an entire weekend, so don't plan on going anywhere. Also this doesn't require expert mechanics like rebuilding an engine. Just remember where **** goes when you take it off. Stuff is pretty easy, BUT I WILL SAY IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH YOUR FRONT SPRINGS BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL THEY CAN SERIOULY HURT YOU. THEY ARE NO JOKE. TONS OF BOUND ENERGY WAITING TO BE SPRUNG.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 PM
96GTMustang
1st Gear Member

I'm in the middle of doing some suspension work on my 96 GT. I have kyb shocks and struts and i am about to put in my eibach proline springs. Are the CC plates recommended??