4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short Throw Shifter and Tranny Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Maldoror

Default Short Throw Shifter and Tranny Noise

Hello everyone.

I became a member of this forum a few weeks ago and found a very knowledgeable bunch of people in the different sections of the site. That's why I'm turning to you today to ask a couple questions.

I recently installed an MGW Short Throw Shifter in my 2004 GT. I must say that I am really impressed with the quality of the product and the improvement it brings in gear shifting.

There's one thing I am wondering though. I've read pretty much every thread in this forum about aftermarket shifters, and everyone seems to think that the MGW shifter is the quietest one. If it is, I'm wondering why do I hear a little bit of tranny noise coming from the shifter boot? It's not very loud or anything, but it's louder than it was with the stock shifter. The lower the RPM, the more noticeable it seems (2nd gear seems the loudest). May it come from the installation of the shifter? Something that has been done wrong? Not enough sealant put underneath? Or is it just the way it should be? What is your experience with short shifters when it comes to cabin noise?

Also, I know it's normal that the gear shifts are a little bit more "notchy". And I must say I kinda like the feeling I get from them. It's really precise and everything. But is there a break-in period after which the shifts will become smoother or will it stays that way?

Please let me know what you think, and thanks for your input. [sm=helpout.gif]
Old 08-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Short Throw Shifter and Tranny Noise

Mine does the same thing... i think we might not of sealed it on the tranny good enough in my opinion... unless everyones is like that.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:51 AM
ExtremeSaleen
2nd Gear Member

I have a Steeda Tri-Ax in my car and when it was very put in I was getting a lot of gear noise from it. I later pulled the motor on the car and of course had to reinstall the shifter and its really quiet now. I notice very little noise from it. I did have a little tear in the shifter boot before so I replaced it during the engine rebuild. Maybe that was the difference, not sure.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Because the MGW shifter eliminates the factory rubber noise isolators, (as do all high performance shifters), you will hear more gear noise or "gear whine" from the transmission once the shifter is installed. This noise is normal and comes from the transmission, not the shifter. The vibrations that cause the noise are always there but are absorbed by the rubber isolators on the original shifter and shift handle. The isolators which absorb the noise are also mostly responsible for the sloppy feel of the stock shifter so it is necessary to eliminate them for a performance shifter.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 AM
yetihairball
1st Gear Member

+1 to GT_Bob

It's perfectly normal to hear the transmission noise with the new shifter. It bothered me at first, too. But, I found the perfect remedy.

Get a louder exhaust and drown out the sound with the beautiful v8 pulsation that only an aftermarket catback can provide.

That'll be $100 for the visit. Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.

And I don't know that the MGW really "breaks-in" or if you just get used to how it shifts. I believe that you get used to the shifts. Either way it does get easier and less awkward. (<--added by edit)
Old 08-17-2006, 06:17 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

+1 to GT_Bob also, plus if it has the boot protector ring/washer, that also jingles around in there creating a little extra noise. No real break-in, just get used to it. As stated, louder exhaust or turn up the music, good luck.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Maldoror

Thanks everyone for your input. A louder exhaust is indeed planned for next spring. And I must say the more I drive with my new shifter, the more I like it. The change is so radical from the stock shifter that you have to "domesticate" the new one I guess.

Now I kinda like the noise actually. It gives you a better feel of the road...