4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

air bags deployed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:38 PM
moordread

Default air bags deployed!!!

Hey guys, just joined and had a serious question for the group. I recently bought a 2004 v6 mustang from a dealership (everything on the car is still stock). I have been driving it for about 5 weeks and just recently had both front tires changed at the dealership I bought it at because it looked like the previous owner had been powersliding in the car as there were flat spots on both front tires. Well yesterday on my way into my neighborhood going 15mph my front driver side (one of the tires that was changed) seems to have shreded. My street is kinda narrow and there are usually cars parked on both sides of the street. My front quarter panel tapped the wheel of a car parked on the side of the road (the fool turns his wheels all the way out), but the impact was on the inside of the quarterpanel right next to my wheel. Either the tapping of the other guys car or the tire blowing made both driver and passanger side air bags blow at which point my throttle body got stuck in the open position. As you can imagine to my suprise with both feet on the brake and the ebrake on I was still screeching down the street (on my rim now). I finally got the air bag off me and popped the car in neutral and flipped the keys off. I just wondered if anyone had heard of anything like this or perhaps something else in the wheel well that could have caused it. All I know is all at once the car pulled immediately hard to the left and with all my strength I was able to keep from completely destroying anything else. Seems the guy I did tap just needs a new rim and tire (thank god), but my stang is totally hosed. The cop didnt charge me with anything because he couldnt for the life of him figure out what happened. Progressive is being crazy slow at sending out an adjuster, and some seasoned advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time guys... Nick.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Maverick04GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: air bags deployed!!!

To be perfectly honest, it sounds like the dealership should be responsible for the damages. My sister recently had a situation like this (she had a flat tire, a dealership replaced it, and it blew out the next day.) When that happened, the dealership promptly took action, giving her a new set of four tires, probably to avoid any question of a lawsuit over liability.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:34 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: air bags deployed!!!

yeah go to the dealership and make a huge scene. use profanity loosly