4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

FRPP Supercharger.....yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default FRPP Supercharger.....yay or nay

Good morning all,

I would like to know if anyone has any opinions or experience with the Ford Racing S/C. I like the finished look of a roots type S/C and I like staying as Ford as possible when upgrading. However it's listed @ 55hp added with 6psi boost, and that seems a liitle low for the $3600 price tag. I am not really proficient in thing related to supercharging so I will defer to the forums for some insight. Any and all comments ,preferances, etc. are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Supercharger.....yay or nay

yay, for any supercharger. i don't think you could go wrong and there's a reason why all factory supershargers are roots type. i think they tend to heat the air charge more than other types and therefore make less power.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:49 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Monch

yay, for any supercharger. i don't think you could go wrong and there's a reason why all factory supershargers are roots type. i think they tend to heat the air charge more than other types and therefore make less power.
+1 for any supercharger but for the money you could get much better quality. I thought I read somewhere that the FFRP S/C was made by Powerdyne. Can anyone verify this? If it is Powerdyne, do your research before you make a decision. I have never owned a Powerdyne but my S/C research steered me far, far away from them.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Try a saleen series iv supercharger.....saleen and ford are practically cousins
Old 10-06-2006, 01:06 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

3600 for 55hp is going to be waaaay disappointing. For a little over half that amount of money, i went from 270rwhp (bolt ons) to 403rwhp (used vortech and all the fixins). And that is only 8#s of boost with the stock pulley. I understand if you want to stay away from used, but you can still get a new saleen or new non i/c vortech for that amount and make a hella lot more power. See if texas hot rods will give you the group price on teh saleen deal they were offering.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:09 PM
beheivjer
2nd Gear Member

muscle mustangs did some testing on this and with some tuning a a slightly smaller pulley they got to 403 rwhp so thats how im going but im going to add cams and lt to the proccess
Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the info, and I should have specified I have a 98 GT. I am using p&p'd 98 GT heads. The Saleens all say 99+. The Saleen is a beautiful unit and I read the thread about the group rate but again they were 99+. I amlooking at the Vortech stuff as well and realize there are more ponies to be had with them. The beauty of the roots is that I would not have to purchase a $500 pi manifold kit from Livernois along with the S/C.

Also are intercoolers needed? And are there any trusted sites you guys would recomend, I am leaning twords Texas Hot Rod or Gear Head Garage.

I really appreciate the info, $3000 is too much to be a know it all, especially when all this great advice is available.

Thanks again
Old 10-06-2006, 02:51 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

The FRPP blower (made by Eaton not Powerdyne) is a very nice unit. The 55hp claim is very low. Its more like 75rwhp with the 6lb pulley and 100hp with a 9lb pulley. You can get it for @$3300 from www.downsford.com
The major benefit when using this on your NPI 2V is the replacing of the NPI intake. Swapping the stock PI cams or some comp npi cams will help alot also.

The big downfall with this Supercharger kit is that it cannot be inter/after cooled because of the manifold design so that limits it to about a 10psi limit before heat will become an issue.
If you are looking for a reliable street blower that can get you up to 350rwhp then its great...if you want more then get a Kenne Bell.
I have some pics of my FRPP Supercharger in my CarDomain.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 PM
beheivjer
2nd Gear Member

droptoppony shortly after talking to you about it i fould my ff&mm article about it if i get a chance ill scan it and post it for everyone to look at thanks for your help again
Old 10-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Beautiful, great info

I will be adding cams. Basically I will p&p some npi heads add pi cams and springs. along with long tubes,x pipe, and cat back, I think this blower is the ticket.

This may be a dumb question but i am new to supercharging, does this unit replace the manifold, AND throttle body/plenum, or just manifold?

Man throw som 4.10's in the mix and I gotta beast. Wooohooo

Quick Reply: FRPP Supercharger.....yay or nay