4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharged mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:43 PM
meyerj88
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharged mach 1

is it a good idea to supercharge a mach 1? ive heard somewhere that you don't want to. if thats true... why? is there something you need to change before supercharging it?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:55 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharged mach 1

i have never heard of it. around me i know there is atleast 10 sc mach 1s http://www.alternativeauto.com/misc/...ct_dec-05.html there is one right there. thats his wifes car
Old 10-22-2006, 01:05 PM
meyerj88
2nd Gear Member

k thats what i thought. i could swore i heard that somewhere. didn't think it was true though
Old 10-22-2006, 01:26 PM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

I always wondered that too and thought it was a bad idea because it was a strict N/A car. Guess not, that Mach-1 looks absolutely amazing.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Why is it a strict N/A car? I've never heard that term used.

Some inexperienced, wrongly informed internet information passer-on'ers will say it's a bad idea to supercharge Mach 1's. They only say this because a quick to spit out poor information member said so & they will go around repeating it without having any sort of information to back it up.

They say this because of the Mach 1's compression ratio. These people tend to forget that a car with a higher compression ratio will more than likely make more HP with the same amount of boost as the same engine with a lower compression ratio, however the higher compression ratio engine will reach it's durability limits faster because of this.

Supercharge a Mach 1, it'll be a blast. Keep the HP under 450 and keep saving your pennies just incase a failure does happen.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:54 PM
meyerj88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Why is it a strict N/A car? I've never heard that term used.

Some inexperienced, wrongly informed internet information passer-on'ers will say it's a bad idea to supercharge Mach 1's. They only say this because a quick to spit out poor information member said so & they will go around repeating it without having any sort of information to back it up.

They say this because of the Mach 1's compression ratio. These people tend to forget that a car with a higher compression ratio will more than likely make more HP with the same amount of boost as the same engine with a lower compression ratio, however the higher compression ratio engine will reach it's durability limits faster because of this.

Supercharge a Mach 1, it'll be a blast. Keep the HP under 450 and keep saving your pennies just incase a failure does happen.
see that's why i created this thread. i'd heard in some other thread a while back that you don't want to supercharge the machs because of the high compression ratio.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:48 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

Its not like it would be a bad idea to s/c a mach. Your just limited to how much hp you can push out. It doesnt have f/i so it wont take too much over about 450 or so like dan04cobra said. I know that if i had the money i wouldve put one on my car a long time ago.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

I know the 99 Cobra isn't 'exactly' like the Mach one but close.. I'm no expert either.. I however did boost my motor and have had no problems.. Although, I've only put on about 800 miles since boosting it and only drive it 'maybe' once a week to the store.. Every time I get in the car I run it hard.. Hell, if I only drive it once a week you can bet your butt I'm gonna run it..

I was actually shooting for about 425 at the wheels but my tuner felt otherwise.. Thus, I'm a bit higher then that.. Either way, you will have a blast.. The car 'should' last for a while.. I'm guessing that I will only see 'maybe' 30k out of my motor before I have to rebuild it and REALLY put some boost into it..
Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Anytime you added any sort of forced induction on a cast engine you will be shortening it's life. Depending on the driving style/tune/luck of the draw the engine will last 5k miles or go well over 100k miles. It's all about how well you maintain the car and how hard you drive the car.

You are putting more strain on a higher compression engine with a S/C. But since the limitations for a N/A 2v & 4v are the same, it doesn't really make a difference.

Supercharge it, have a blast. But make sure you save your pennies for a new shortblock. It's not any more of a risk than supercharging a 2v.