4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP WITH SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:05 PM
thornton02GT
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP WITH SPRINGS

we did the rear ones last night and when we went to do the front ones we couldnt get the spring compessor tool to work, it wouldnt fit. I found the write up on it by code but I dont see how the tool is going to fit. Does anybody know another right up for the front springs or have any suggestions. Also once I lower the front wil the rear lower anymore because the rear ones barely lowered at all and i was pretty upset. Also does anybody know a write up for the steering boots. Might as well replace those to since both of them are leaking power steering fluid.

Thanks, Tyler
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM
JPGT_00
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP WITH SPRINGS

Which springs did you get? They will settle over the nezt few days. If you cant get the spring compressor tool to work, just use a jack. put the front of the car on jack stands and use a jack to raise up your A arm, they you can take the bolts out of the strut and loswer the jack SLOWLY and they you will be able to take the spring out, its a snug fit so your probably going to have to pull on it to pop it out. Its pretty easy, You did yake your brake caliper off right? I dont know if you can even do it with the brake caliper on but I took mine off. Just be careful lowering the jack with the tension of the spring, theres not going to be alot, but jsut be careful
Old 11-09-2006, 02:34 PM
InferRedd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JPGT_00

Which springs did you get? They will settle over the nezt few days. If you cant get the spring compressor tool to work, just use a jack. put the front of the car on jack stands and use a jack to raise up your A arm, they you can take the bolts out of the strut and loswer the jack SLOWLY and they you will be able to take the spring out, its a snug fit so your probably going to have to pull on it to pop it out. Its pretty easy, You did yake your brake caliper off right? I dont know if you can even do it with the brake caliper on but I took mine off. Just be careful lowering the jack with the tension of the spring, theres not going to be alot, but jsut be careful
He's pretty much right about it. I did my spring with a jack, jack stands, and a crow bar. I took off the whole break rotor and dropped tha A-fram with the jack (slowly) and with the crow bar, I compressed the spring just enough were it would wiggle out. The new spring is shorter and will be a lot easier to put in. I just can't belive how easy the rear springs were to put in. half an hour to 45 minutes. But it seems you have a newer year so it might be a bit different, I'm not sure. Good luck.

cardomain
Old 11-09-2006, 02:50 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I don't really remember how exactly I did my fronts, but I remember that I didn't use any spring compressors or anything. Let me see if I can find the online writeup I used to do mine.

The guy above me is right, I too used a crowbar to release tension on the spring then popped it out. Probably not the safest way to do it, but I came out of it without anything bodily injury.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

Ya same here, i jus did mine last weekend. Just like said above take the caliper off and use a jack to lower it slowly. Best if you have at least 2 people. Just be careful not to put too much stress on your brake lines cause its kind of hard to find a good place to set the caliper while your changin the springs out. I also used a little wd-40 to lube the bottom of the springs up so they would slip right in. Fairly easy and shouldnt require a spring compressor.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:53 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

did mine the same as above . did you put your rear springs back in same position ? the end of the spring on the bottom needs to be sitting on the rear side of control arm (at least that's how it is stock ) . if you have that correct than give 'em time to settle
Old 11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
thornton02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blstoff

did mine the same as above . did you put your rear springs back in same position ? the end of the spring on the bottom needs to be sitting on the rear side of control arm (at least that's how it is stock ) . if you have that correct than give 'em time to settle
does it matter? I didnt no if it mattered, if it does me and my friend will fix them tonight. The rear was really easy so fixing them will be no problem, i got the leve 1 specific BBK springs thanks guys