4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

speedo question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 01:16 AM
stieny
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: speedo question...

ORIGINAL: HotWheels301

I recently installed white face gauges on my 2000 GT. I left the clear bezel off while having my wife go down the highway with the cruise set at 55 mph. I was off about 5 mph, so I adjusted it and put the bezel back on. Be careful when taking the needle off. It takes a special little tool that came with the kit. I'm sure you can use a small screwdriver with no problem. If you don't think it's had a gear change, then it probably is the gauges. Good luck.
I don't have the tool to take off the needle since the gauges were put in before I purchased the car. But I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. If you knew you were 5 mph off then how did you change it without the car moving because once you stop the speedo needle rests on the needle at the bottom of the cluster. So that makes me think you can't adjust it. I'm sorry if I seem a bit confused but I've never done this before and its buggin me that its 6 mph off.

First, in order to take the bezel off it looks like you need to take the headlight/parking light switch off. How do I do that without breaking it?

So if I take the bezel off, then I have to get the needle off. How do I go about doing that?

Then, how do I correct it when I put it back on? Should I leave it off and drive then put it back on at the speed at which I know I am going?

Thanks for anyone with advice and to those who have posted already!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:25 AM
04SonicGT

This might be to late of an answer. If you still have this problem all you need to do is...
before you start your car and after you take the clear plastic piece off your gauge cluster. Hold down your trip meter button. then start your car. if you look at it on the part where is says milage you should see it change and should test your bezel gauges. you should keep hitting the trip meter buttong untill you get to the letters ENG00 the G looks like a 6 that is your digital speed. go down a clear road with the bezel needle off and get the cruise on at 30 MPH or what ever that is even. then place the needle on and take teh cruise and check the needle with teh digital reading. Dont know if it makes to much sense but if need any more help email me at
MGARCIA13@***.net
PS you should check all your gauges just in case
Old 10-08-2004, 04:51 AM
ponyride00

I just put my 3.73s in my 00 GT and my speedo is exactly 6 mph off.