4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

40o+HP Guys: Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:09 AM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 40o+HP Guys: Any regrets?

Good points Dan. There is a big responsibility that comes with owning a 400+hp car. It can (and will) get away from you if your not careful. Id be pissed if someone was blastin along,lost control, and crashed into one of my family. (or even more pissed if they hit my stang lol). Ive had some hairy moments in my car but i was on a stretch of road alone were i could hurt nothing but myself. I have over 500hp and drivability is ummmmmmmm well fun but not good. Car handles well but its very loud, hard to shift, and wife cant drive it. Tell ya what i did, i bought her a bone stock 95gt auto. She loves it and leaves my beast alone lol. As for the addiction i can sum it up for you like this " No matter what you do to your car your never done". But there are alot worse things you could do with your money. And there seems to be a pride amongst mustang owners that other cars dont have. And its a good thing. If you decide to mod (and you will lmao) the guys in this forum are great. They helped me out on every move i made so listen to them and good luck.

p.s. Sounds like your in the jersey area im from point pleasant bch. pm me if i can help
Old 11-13-2006, 01:54 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

+1! .. I spent this entire weekend trying to buy an 03-04 Cobra. I thought I found a good one and went to the dealer to negotiate a lower price and work out a deal to buy it. .. Turns out that It was a Kenne Bell blown Cobra with long tubes, exhaust, etc. I test drove it and didn't like it. ... WHY? .. TOO MUCH POWER! That thing was scary! I mean it was literally scary fast. Waaay too much power for daily driving. You'd have to have driven it to fully understand how fast it was.

EDIT: Oh yea, it suposedly had 650HP. I didn't see any dyno charts, but all the salesman made sure I knew how much power it had.
ORIGINAL: KartR31487

well spoken Dan...
Old 11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

+1! .. I spent this entire weekend trying to buy an 03-04 Cobra. I thought I found a good one and went to the dealer to negotiate a lower price and work out a deal to buy it. .. Turns out that It was a Kenne Bell blown Cobra with long tubes, exhaust, etc. I test drove it and didn't like it. ... WHY? .. TOO MUCH POWER! That thing was scary! I mean it was literally scary fast. Waaay too much power for daily driving. You'd have to have driven it to fully understand how fast it was.

EDIT: Oh yea, it suposedly had 650HP. I didn't see any dyno charts, but all the salesman made sure I knew how much power it had.

well spoken Dan...

Just kidding. I though my 305 hp cobra was scary fast when I first got it. Now I wish it was a little scarier faster. I think 400-450 would be the highest I'd got for a street car though.

Matt
Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uofipilot

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

well spoken Dan...

Just kidding. I though my 305 hp cobra was scary fast when I first got it. Now I wish it was a little scarier faster. I think 400-450 would be the highest I'd got for a street car though.

Matt

All depends on tires. If you can afford to drive around on BFG's and not drive it in the rain you could definatly go more. Problem with the KB as opposed to turbo/centrifugal is when you hammer it all that torque is instant, which can be good and bad depending on how you look at it.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ripper

Good points Dan. There is a big responsibility that comes with owning a 400+hp car. It can (and will) get away from you if your not careful. Id be pissed if someone was blastin along,lost control, and crashed into one of my family. (or even more pissed if they hit my stang lol). Ive had some hairy moments in my car but i was on a stretch of road alone were i could hurt nothing but myself. I have over 500hp and drivability is ummmmmmmm well fun but not good. Car handles well but its very loud, hard to shift, and wife cant drive it. Tell ya what i did, i bought her a bone stock 95gt auto. She loves it and leaves my beast alone lol. As for the addiction i can sum it up for you like this " No matter what you do to your car your never done". But there are alot worse things you could do with your money. And there seems to be a pride amongst mustang owners that other cars dont have. And its a good thing. If you decide to mod (and you will lmao) the guys in this forum are great. They helped me out on every move i made so listen to them and good luck.

p.s. Sounds like your in the jersey area im from point pleasant bch. pm me if i can help

Actually I'm in upstate NY 75 mi from Manhattan. Grew up in Jersey though. Seaside and Point Pleasant evry summer. You haven't lived till youve eaten a sausage and pepper hero on the board walk !

And thanks everyone all good opinions, Dan really kind of hit on my feelings twords it. I know myself, if the power is there I will get on it, and for what? to prove to some lame *** in a civic that I can build a better car. Cops, careless drivers, DEER, all things that can shut down the high speed fun in a heartbeat. I think we like the challenge more than the speed. Making horse power take thinking and some ingenuity, it's something not every has an apptitude for, it kind of separates us from the heard.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:44 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Haha. I was waiting for someone to say that!.. Lol. But more than anything, I didn't want it because there wasn't much more I could do to it. It was already fully bolted on with a Kenne Bell.

But to the original poster, I don't have a car with that 400+ power, but after test driving one, it seems to be too much.
Maybe the 400-500HP range wouldn't be so bad, but the car I drove had 600+.