4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2004 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 01:18 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 2004 GT

CAI is worthless, catback is questionable at best, plenum, forget about it.

The reason the two valve can't produce is because of the 1 intake valve. You've really got to force that **** in there. Nitrous / SC is your only bet...

Just know wtf your getting yoruself into.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:22 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I agree with you Mike, but I dont think he wants to use nitrous and he doesn't sound like he wants to spend money on the s/c... you're right, these mods only add 5rwhp here and there, but it does add up in the end. I say to do midpipe and catback exhaust for one just for the sound. It wont add but maybe 5-7 total rwhp with a midpipe and catback, but the sound is unbeatable, lol... People know that, adding midpipe and catback wont add much hp, but they still spend 2k on these things, lol... eyy yii yii
Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

I agree with you Mike, but I dont think he wants to use nitrous and he doesn't sound like he wants to spend money on the s/c... you're right, these mods only add 5rwhp here and there, but it does add up in the end. I say to do midpipe and catback exhaust for one just for the sound. It wont add but maybe 5-7 total rwhp with a midpipe and catback, but the sound is unbeatable, lol... People know that, adding midpipe and catback wont add much hp, but they still spend 2k on these things, lol... eyy yii yii

There was someone on the board last night and they said they got 270 rwhp w/ cai,exhaust, etc (oh yeah, & the mail order diablo chip.) No LT's. Couldn't figure out how to post their time slips though. Yeah...one of them...

The problem is the 2v setup. These things respond incredible to f/i. Work the exhaust and you looking at another 20+ rwhp.

5 - 7 rwhp is worthless imo. Might as well buy nicer tires & hook up better. Makes it sound cool/get's you more tickets. That's why I like the stock exhaust setup. THe less attention the better.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

There was someone on the board last night and they said they got 270 rwhp w/ cai,exhaust, etc (oh yeah, & the mail order diablo chip.) No LT's. Couldn't figure out how to post their time slips though. Yeah...one of them...

The problem is the 2v setup. These things respond incredible to f/i. Work the exhaust and you looking at another 20+ rwhp.

5 - 7 rwhp is worthless imo. Might as well buy nicer tires & hook up better. Makes it sound cool/get's you more tickets. That's why I like the stock exhaust setup. THe less attention the better.
yea but is the stock exhaust restrictive? I was thinking of adding LT's to the stock exhaust would that be worth it?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:57 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

CAI is worthless, catback is questionable at best, plenum, forget about it.

The reason the two valve can't produce is because of the 1 intake valve. You've really got to force that **** in there. Nitrous / SC is your only bet...

Just know wtf your getting yoruself into.
Its not becuase there is only 1 intake valve, its cuz the heads just arnt designed well. All of the LS1's have 1 intake valve, and we all know how well they respond to mods, hell I know of about 4 ls1 camaros that run low 12's and high 11's with just a cam, intake, and full exhaust. Infact most American V8's only have 1 intake valve.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:59 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Steve04GT

yea but is the stock exhaust restrictive? I was thinking of adding LT's to the stock exhaust would that be worth it?
It will add some power, probably not quite the best bang for the buck, but it will definitly sound alot better.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Full exhaust: longtube headers, midpipe and catback will net you around 15rwhp and around 20lb ft of torque. $1300.00 for Longtube headers + install (which includes shorty midpipe), catback, which is anywhere from $200-$2000.00, plus install. Also, you need a tune in most cases anyway due to the O2 sensors, unless you get MIL Eliminators, but again those things tend to break.

I would advise against longtube headers, because it's not worth it. Longtubes, should be the last thing you do, because if for any reason you have to drop the tranny, clutch, or anything from the engine you have to drop the longtubes again. Which is again a PITA. Exhaust in my opinion, is strictly a sound upgrade - you will get a few ponies here and there, but that's just a bonus.

Could always spend money on a good cam ($1400.00 or so) and it'll net you mid 20rwhp. I again, would take that $1400.00 and set it towards a good Vortech, or Procharger, or even a KB. Although, you said that's out of your scope
Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

Full exhaust: longtube headers, midpipe and catback will net you around 15rwhp and around 20lb ft of torque. $1300.00 for Longtube headers + install (which includes shorty midpipe), catback, which is anywhere from $200-$2000.00, plus install. Also, you need a tune in most cases anyway due to the O2 sensors, unless you get MIL Eliminators, but again those things tend to break.

I would advise against longtube headers, because it's not worth it. Longtubes, should be the last thing you do, because if for any reason you have to drop the tranny, clutch, or anything from the engine you have to drop the longtubes again. Which is again a PITA. Exhaust in my opinion, is strictly a sound upgrade - you will get a few ponies here and there, but that's just a bonus.

Could always spend money on a good cam ($1400.00 or so) and it'll net you mid 20rwhp. I again, would take that $1400.00 and set it towards a good Vortech, or Procharger, or even a KB. Although, you said that's out of your scope
Cams arn't that exspensive, a set of comp cams cost $575 and a dyno tune will cost about $350 + dyno time which is usually about $100, but I wouldnt put new cams in for your first mod.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:31 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

That is... $1025.00 right there... unless you're installing the cams, most places will charge you another 3-500 to install the cams. which is how much? 12-1400... plus tax of course.

I know people that have just gears, cam and tune on the car and making nice horsepower... You can, it's a road you can go. There are a 100 raods you can go with these cars though.

ORIGINAL: korn253
Cams arn't that exspensive, a set of comp cams cost $575 and a dyno tune will cost about $350 + dyno time which is usually about $100, but I wouldnt put new cams in for your first mod.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:32 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

That is... $1025.00 right there... unless you're installing the cams, most places will charge you another 3-500 to install the cams. which is how much? 13-1500... plus tax of course.

I know people that have just gears, cam and tune on the car and making nice horsepower... You can, it's a road you can go. There are a 100 raods you can go with these cars though.

ORIGINAL: korn253

Quick Reply: 2004 GT