4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dead, completely dead......

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Korishan

Default Dead, completely dead......

Ran fine yesterday. no problems. this morning, I get up, put the key in the ignition, turn it on, dash comes to life. turn to crank, all lights go out for about 2 seconds, i hear a click from the starter. Ok, i have a dead battery. I replaced the battery, and damned if it didn't do it again. I tried it a few times, reseated the terminal connects, did it again.

Now, I get no dash lights or headlights or dome lights. Nothing, everythings dead. I can hear the spark of the battery terminal when connecting it, but no lights or life at all. Batter is fully charged at 12.6 volts which stay steady when turning the ignition.

I unplugged the 3 prong wire from the alt thinkin the alt was doin something, but didn't have any success. I didn't however completely disconnect the alt (only an hour lunch break). I did notice yesterday when I was at a stop light when I rev'd the motor up while in Neutral, the dash volt meter jumped from about 1/3 position to a little over 1/2 way and dropped back down. I rev'd again, and it repeated.

Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Dead, completely dead......

May be a bad ground. Check your grounds.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:48 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I'm going to go for saying that it's not the alternator because even if the alternator were bad, it would at least run for a little while with a fully charged battery in the car.

Follow all wiring for any breaks, check for bad grounds as mentioned above, and take a look at all of your fuses. I don't know what fuses are what off the top of my head (would have to look it up, let me know if you find one bad and need to know what it is).
Old 11-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Korishan

Well, a friend at work said he had a similar experience with his wifes car and it was the alt.

I did take the alt, disconnected all wires to it, and my baby cranked right up and ran for a few seconds. Didn't want to run to long cuz the alt was out and need that extra pulley for the belt. So, I did order a new alt from discount. It's a 130amp alt. Later on, when I have cash I can throw at it, I'll get a better one with higher amps. But for now, the 130amp will do. So, I'll get that tomorrow and install it and see if she cranks up w/o any help. If it doesn't, then I gotta replace the starter, which, will have to wait for 2 weeks for my next pay check But I hope this will fix it.

Reason why I was thinking it was the alt, is because the alt is directly linked to the battery, at least through a fuse or 2. Also, they have built in regulators, so if the regulator was "frozen" in the "on" possition, it could cause a feedback loop that'd kill any signal to the computer. Once I did disconnect the alt, all my lights came on and all dash lights came to life. So, really really really hoping that's the 100% problem, not just "part" of the problem.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:42 AM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

so you ordered a new alternator? did u even get yours tested at schucks or checker or autozone first? they do it for free, and now u could be ****ed with an alternator u didn't need.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Korishan

That is true, I didn't have them test it. But I'm in good with them at the store and I can return it w/o any problems. They were gonna take back the battery I bought but I decided to keep the new one since it had higher cranking amps and wasn't almost 2yrs old.

We'll see, but thanks for the concern I'll keep posted as to what happens tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Korishan

Ok, it's been a few days and I haven't given my results. The new alt runs sweet. Cranked right up w/o any probs. Actually, I think my headlights are a lil brighter, too. And the motor seems to a bit more responsive. So, I guess all this time I have been having little wierd issues has been my alt goin bad. I do need to get a new connector that plugs into the regulator, tho. The 3 pins in there kind of slide up into the plug and disconnect from the alt. Which, probly killed the other one. Sounds like a call to the junk yard until I get my new motor wiring harness.

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated as usual. Always welcome input from others.

Korishan
Old 11-25-2006, 11:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

cool, thanks for the follow up

glad everything is working well now

ORIGINAL: Korishan

Ok, it's been a few days and I haven't given my results. The new alt runs sweet. Cranked right up w/o any probs. Actually, I think my headlights are a lil brighter, too. And the motor seems to a bit more responsive. So, I guess all this time I have been having little wierd issues has been my alt goin bad. I do need to get a new connector that plugs into the regulator, tho. The 3 pins in there kind of slide up into the plug and disconnect from the alt. Which, probly killed the other one. Sounds like a call to the junk yard until I get my new motor wiring harness.

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated as usual. Always welcome input from others.

Korishan