4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Have a question about the lightning swap...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:19 AM
o0quiksilver0o

Default Have a question about the lightning swap...

Well, as the title says I have a few questions about putting the 5.4 lightning motor in to a stang... I'm currently looking at it because my baby was just totaled yesterday.. I am really down about it and I've only owned the truck for a little over a month (2002 with only 28k on odometer!).. Short story is that the truck was stolen and I found it wrapped around a pole.. Bed was totally fuuuxxxored and its no doubt totaled. I was thinking about buying the truck back from the insurence company and putting the motor into a stang if the price isn't bad.

My uncle has already offered to help me with the swap. I've read some info about it on here through searching but havn't found a whole lot of info. I read the article about the frightning but its a fox body stang. But I guess it wouldn't be to much different.

I realize the motor is gonna stick up about 6 inches higher. I'm not too worried about it because this will be a weekend warrior/race car I'll just get a cowl hood and cut it or somthing. I don't know a whole lot about stangs so I came here.

As far as transmission goes... I would guess that a 03/04 t56 would probably be a good tranny for it? I found the swap/conversion on D&D performance's site.. But other than that? Putting this beast is pretty much a straight forward swap right (I'm not worried about AC and powersteering)? As per tuning the motor could I use the 4.6L ecu and use like a SCT xcal2 tuner? The fact the trucks ecu was an auto means I coudln't really run a manual ecu with it right?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:36 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Have a question about the lightning swap...

ill bet your going to need a new ecu - custom ac lines and other bits - to make it like stock functionality is going to cost. I see why you want to do it - but go ahead and swap the internals while its out to make it worth you while - then hook up the sqeeze and it will be right.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:18 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

its been done...if its gonna be a track car i'd stay with an auto.

This girl has it done and has been in a few magazines....i'm sure she can help you with any info you need.
http://www.mymustangsite.com/Toxic54/
Old 11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
o0quiksilver0o

Thanks, I'll probably send her a message or two. Yeah, I figured I open the block up and replace the weaklink rods and throw some new pistons in while its out. That frightning ran 10.9's on a stock block L motor. Lot of potential there.