4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Revmatching/downshifting tips/tricks....

Old 11-26-2006, 06:07 PM
weasel1088
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Revmatching/downshifting tips/tricks....

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

Wait though, why would I apply the brakes if I am trying to downshift and accelerate to go faster? Or is that something else.
Yeah, that's to bring the engine speed up to tranny speed. There are a few common ways for acceleration:

1. Granny shifting: First let off the gas, push in the clutch, shift and bring up the revs as you let out the clutch. This is the smootest way, and once mastered, a good combo of speed and preservation of your car and your ***.

2. Power shifting: This is slightly or not at all letting off the throttle as you shift so the engine stays at or above tranny speed. Creates a surge of acceleration forward, fried drivetrain parts and a satisfying "scratch" at the rear wheels in 2nd and (if the car if powerful enough) higher gears. I only do this when I really, really, really, really want to win or look cool. Don't do it unless you're pointed in a straight line. In the midst of a turn + power shifting = loss of control. You ain't nowheres near ready for drifting yet.

3. Clutchless shifting: This is where you yank or shove the shifter without touching the clutch. I know some that swear by it. Ideally it's the fastest. I'm not sure how it affects the car. Some say it saves wear and tear on the clutch and pressure plate, but I imagine it's hell on everything else (synchros, gears, etc). Don't do it. But if you do, I'm sure your mechanic will love you for the vacation he'll be able to afford for him and his family afterwards.

Stick with #1 for now and you'll know when you've got it down. Done right, in most cases, it's fast enough.....

Are you even reading what he is asking? your asnswering questions that he didnt ask.

Jaybird, dont use the brake when your trying to do what your asking, just hit the clutch give it some gas/shift and let out the clutch
Old 11-26-2006, 07:16 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Heal toe driving could be a whole lot easier in a mustang than it is...but i made it a little easier by bringing the gas pedal up almost even with the brake pedal...it made it a TON better, but new pedal placement would make it more comfortable...but granny shifting is all i do when i get a line up on the highway...you dont need to bust your ***** any worse if u aint gonna win anything
Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 PM
HpOoRwSeEr
2nd Gear Member

pshhh downshifting, i put it in neutral and use brakes until im at the right speed to shift into a suitable gear.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

Wait though, why would I apply the brakes if I am trying to downshift and accelerate to go faster? Or is that something else.
Yeah, that's to bring the engine speed up to tranny speed. There are a few common ways for acceleration:

1. Granny shifting: First let off the gas, push in the clutch, shift and bring up the revs as you let out the clutch. This is the smootest way, and once mastered, a good combo of speed and preservation of your car and your ***.

2. Power shifting: This is slightly or not at all letting off the throttle as you shift so the engine stays at or above tranny speed. Creates a surge of acceleration forward, fried drivetrain parts and a satisfying "scratch" at the rear wheels in 2nd and (if the car if powerful enough) higher gears. I only do this when I really, really, really, really want to win or look cool. Don't do it unless you're pointed in a straight line. In the midst of a turn + power shifting = loss of control. You ain't nowheres near ready for drifting yet.

3. Clutchless shifting: This is where you yank or shove the shifter without touching the clutch. I know some that swear by it. Ideally it's the fastest. I'm not sure how it affects the car. Some say it saves wear and tear on the clutch and pressure plate, but I imagine it's hell on everything else (synchros, gears, etc). Don't do it. But if you do, I'm sure your mechanic will love you for the vacation he'll be able to afford for him and his family afterwards.

Stick with #1 for now and you'll know when you've got it down. Done right, in most cases, it's fast enough.....
Hahaa definately not going to do #2 or #3. I think I was already way to hard on my car with the lack of rev matching during my downshifts. Interestingly enough a few times I have layed down some rubber on the 1-2 shift. I have a completely stock '03 GT with a novice manual tranny driver. Was VERY cool, but not sure how I did it. I think I basically just popped the clutch and floored it after I shifted into 2nd.

I'm slowly getting the hang of rev matching though. I tried it a few times tonight and it made driving alot smoother., but it will still take me months to get second nature to driving a stick. It can be very frustrating, but also very challenging and fun. I can't believe how brainless I was driving an automatic tranny all these years.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

I dont think anyone is getting what hes really asking. "Heel/Toing" isnt gona help with what he's asking. What you need to do is when you are going from say 5th to 3rd to get into ur powerband you need to push in the clutch and then get your rpms about 1500 higher than hold it there and let the clutch out. It will make the transition much smoother. I do this all the time in my COBRA to get into my powerband.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:16 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

For rev matching you need to figure out what your RPM's are at at certain speeds in all the gears.

Lets say in 3rd gear at 60 you are turning 3,000 Rpms. You then put it in 5th and are turning 1,700 Rpms. In order to rev match, if you are at 60 in 5th gear, you need to put the clutch in and rev it up to 3000 Rpm-put it in third as you are doing this- and then let the clutch out.

I learned to rev match on my old audi before I got my stang. It takes a while to master, but once you do, there is nothing like nailing a downshift and only hearing the motor rev up and not feeling the car make any movement. These videos may help.

Watch video #8

http://www.standardshift.com/videos.html

Old 11-26-2006, 11:27 PM
snakeman4life
4th Gear Member

Everybody is reading way too much into this,all you've got to do is push the clutch in downshift and blip your throttle and release the clutch with the rpms near where they should be in that given gear,it works good for slowing down and downshifting to go fast,but it's just something that comes natural after you own your car after a while.I don't even realize I'm doing it.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: snakeman4life

Everybody is reading way too much into this,all you've got to do is push the clutch in downshift and blip your throttle and release the clutch with the rpms near where they should be in that given gear,it works good for slowing down and downshifting to go fast,but it's just something that comes natural after you own your car after a while.I don't even realize I'm doing it.
Same here. It's just a natural motion for me.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:55 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

What Ive done...especially from 4th-->3rd I shift down and as I let the clutch out I press the gas a little bit to raise the rpms so its close to being where it should in 3rd. Ive done many smooth downshifts from 4th-->3rd but from 3rd-->2nd is a little different story. Still workin on that hahahaha
Old 11-27-2006, 12:01 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

try 5th-2nd...that was a trip, but i was needing to downshift anyways...thats full throttle blip

Search this Thread