4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

fuel pump install

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Airman21
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: fuel pump install

kool thanks man i will try that out to marrow and i will let you give me a internet bitch slap if it works... if that really is the problem that is something a lot of people have probly had a problem with... thanks i'll reply to this post if it works so everyone can see you slap me lol... later
Old 11-27-2006, 02:42 AM
darkman5001

ORIGINAL: Airman21

Ok so i have been having problems with my car if any of you remember... Well i replaced my fuel pump today(not fun at all by the way)... but i still cant get the car to start it sounds like i am cammed real hard... womp womp womp womp and then stalls out... is this normal? does it just take a while to get it started since the system has been dry for a little while? i am going to work on it some more tomarrow but i just need some reassurance cause i am worried... we replaced the pump with a steeda direct replacement pump it is supposed to flow 40% more and support 175 extra ponys well i believe that to be true cause when i tried to crank it the first couple times we noticed that there was a puddle so we checked it out... i guess there is to much pressure and its leaking where the fuel line goes to the filter... so we put a clamp on each side but it still leaks some any idea what i can do to keep this from happening maybe put another clamp on each side or something? ok this is long enough.. hope i can get some helpful responces! thanks

John

Hi everyone. I new to this forum. I just wanted to touch up on what Airman21 is talking about. I am the one who installed the pump. Since car has been down, the IAC was also changed. Anyways, I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and read about 20 psi during key on. Pressure held at about 20 psi. We tried cranking engine, but it kept stalling, backfiring, and maybe at best running at about 200-300 rpm. When engine actually kicks on even with backfiring and slow engine speed, my gaugeis reading about 40 psi. I know someone earlier in the post mentioned something about not enough fuel in the tank. I would say maybe that could e had I not installed the fuel pressure gauge, bt since the pressure gauge is showing contant pressure at all times, I really don't think that is the deal. The old pump was absolutely confirmed bad. It did not even fire up. I checked voltage right at the power connecter on the pump and verified the old pump had power being supplied. New pump fires right up and pressurizes the system VERY NICELY. As I said earlier the IAC was changed AFTER the pump died, so we never have had it running with the new IAC.Could the IAC be causing this, or what? Please we are open to all thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2006, 03:01 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Right on. Welcome to the board. I can't emphasize enough how unusual it is for the fuel pump to go on one of these things. There've been 1 million posts on "I think my fuel pump is bad." And it's ALWAYS the IAC or fuel filter. How did you deem the fuel pump "bad"???

Usually you cyphon the gas out of the tank or run it dry before you drop it. How much gas in the tank when you dropped it??? I said earlier I'm not real keen on the steeda pump. I've read another post about probs with it...can't remember the specs though. It seems stupid to replace the same part twice so don't do that.

My suggestion would be to run a search on the pump you installed here and a couple other mustang sites. corral.net & modularfords.com are good ones.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:21 AM
darkman5001

Hey. Well you know that sound the fuel pump makes when you first turn the key? Well the pump stopped doing this. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail to see what is up since the car would not start and no key on noise from pump, and found absolutely no pressure at all. I called my wife's uncle who is a mechanic for a living and he told me to check for voltage on the inertia switch and I had 12.5 volts with the key on. At this point we were pretty determined that it was the pump. My buddy had the car towed to my house since his stupid appartment complex forbids working on a gar, even if it is checking the damn oil level. We dropped the tank and opened up cover to pump. I put a volt meter right on the wires to the pump and had him turn key to on. I had 12.5 volts, but no pump start up. So thats how I know for a fact the pump was dead. I installed the new pump and walla, pump sound on key on is back and PLENTY of fuel pressure. It probably has just under 1/4 tank right now, but as I said earlier, I had contant fuel pressure on the fuel gauge at all times, so there were no signs of fuel starvation. Too bad my buddy had to experience one of these rare problems.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:34 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

If your POSITIVE the fuel pump is bad...

That convinces me more that it needs more fuel...I'm not sure why, but it takes my needle about 50 miles for my move off of the full marker and from there it drops like crazy. At a quarter of a tank I'll put in 13 gal in a 16 gal tank.

I'm not a physicist or a ford tech...just try it. It's $5 and a trip to wal mart at the worst.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:11 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If your getting a bad leak from your filter something is definatly wrong, you do not need to (or should have) extra clamps on the fuel line.

Sounds like you are leaking the fuel pressure out of the filter, and possibly sucking air into the line. Your new pump should definatly NOT be causing a leak. I have a 255 LPH focus pump and there was no need to clamp the filter or change anything out.

Sounds like you either don't have the little clips on the lines tight on the filter, the seals are bad between teh filter and the lines, or your filter is wrong/screwed up. I would start by getting another new filter and go from there.

Once again, you should DEFINATLY not need to use clamps. If your needing clamps to stop a leak, something is wrong, and even if you get the leak to stop you have a dangerous situation. Don't screw around with gas leaking at the filter, espcially with the exhaust right down there
Old 11-27-2006, 10:57 PM
darkman5001

ORIGINAL: darkman5001

Hey. Well you know that sound the fuel pump makes when you first turn the key? Well the pump stopped doing this. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail to see what is up since the car would not start and no key on noise from pump, and found absolutely no pressure at all. I called my wife's uncle who is a mechanic for a living and he told me to check for voltage on the inertia switch and I had 12.5 volts with the key on. At this point we were pretty determined that it was the pump. My buddy had the car towed to my house since his stupid appartment complex forbids working on a gar, even if it is checking the damn oil level. We dropped the tank and opened up cover to pump. I put a volt meter right on the wires to the pump and had him turn key to on. I had 12.5 volts, but no pump start up. So thats how I know for a fact the pump was dead. I installed the new pump and walla, pump sound on key on is back and PLENTY of fuel pressure. It probably has just under 1/4 tank right now, but as I said earlier, I had contant fuel pressure on the fuel gauge at all times, so there were no signs of fuel starvation. Too bad my buddy had to experience one of these rare problems.

Just a follow up... The car now has a little over 1/4 tank gas, fuel leak fixed, and still no go. The car is still backfiring and running like it only has 4 or 5 cylinders firing, if that. It will not stay running on its own and sparks and flame came out the tail pipes while I was holding the gas a little to keep it going. At this point I am not sure what to do. Does anybody have any other ideas what could cause the car to do this? I amm still getting a little more than 40 psi out the fuel rails at all times. Oh, and just to rule out the filter since it is new, I just bypassed the filter for testing purposes in my driveway only. I will hook it back in line once we figure out while it is running so bad. Anyways, any one have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:31 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If its definatly getting fuel to the rails the only thing it could be is either a injector not opening our your not getting spark.

Pull the plugs and check them to make sure they arn't fouled/messed up. Check all the wiring going to the coilpacks etc as well.

You might just have to take it into a dealer though. I don't think a regular meter will see the plugs firing etc or the signals to open and close the injectors (because its so fast).