4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Really need help, this is pissin me off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:13 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Really need help, this is pissin me off

aight thanks guys, ill check for the relay, and wat do u suggest for the stat? 185?
Old 08-27-2004, 02:36 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

put the old one you took out back in if you still have it around, it should be around 190 degree opening temp. I know on earlier models like my 88 the two sensors are in two different locations but probably for a good reason, the gauge sensor sits in the intake manifold and the computer sensor is mounted in a metal tube line going to the heater where it sees a constant flow of coolant going by it all the time so it sees a more accurate actual engine coolant temperature. you might get some better results if you can install the computer temp sensor somewhere besides in a dead headed tee fitting or run a return line off the tee to increase the flow through it.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:20 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a plan, thats why i might have to go buy the 2001 manifold w/ the metal crossover so i can put the sensor in the right place, this may sound like a stupid ? but will a car run hotter if ur jus driving in like 1-2 in a parking lot for an extended period of time?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:49 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Yes because the air doesnt flow through the radiator as well at low speeds, the fan helps but can only do so much
Old 08-28-2004, 11:40 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stonemonk9

sounds like a plan, thats why i might have to go buy the 2001 manifold w/ the metal crossover so i can put the sensor in the right place, this may sound like a stupid ? but will a car run hotter if ur jus driving in like 1-2 in a parking lot for an extended period of time?
You trying to imitate a New York city cab driver or what? MD is dead on correct, they will definitely tend to run hot operated like that! Not only is there little air flow through the radiator, but very little in the engine compartment and a lot of that heat builds up and just makes it worse. back in my teen years if you cruised around like that, you were guaranteed to run hot and puke out your coolant and the cars didn't have coolant recovery systems back then so you left a mess on the pavement too!
Old 08-29-2004, 02:20 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

i dont think i have a recovery system, mine goes everywhere, its horrible! ok, i also heard somthn u can get a chip or tune that culd make ur fans go on earlier? but first i shuld check the relay, i checked my hanes manual, but i must be slow cuz i wasnt able to find the fan relay in the electric diagram thingy!
Old 08-30-2004, 12:27 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

all cars nowadays have a coolant recovery system, it's the plastic bottle that you can see the coolant in mounted adjacent to the radiator. usually it has marks for hot level and cold level and you should keep the level between the two marks.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:00 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

ya it has that but it still comes out everywhere
Old 09-01-2004, 04:08 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Any idea where your losing fluid from? My money is on you find the leak, you find the reason your overheating.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:26 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Coolant leaks out huh...well try this, since my '96 loses coolant also. On mine it leaks out between the thermostat housing and the intake. I have yet to be able to fix it because I've tried some sealant on it twice and it still leaks, so I'm just going to live with it until I get around to getting a PI swap done. You did the head swap and kept your stock intake? If so, your intake may be cracked, since this is a common problem. Do you see coolant in the valley of the engine? That would point to a cracked intake, or like in my case, it's leaking out around the thermostat housing. Mine doesn't overheat, but it does lose coolant.

Quick Reply: Really need help, this is pissin me off