4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are LM1s obnoxiously loud w/ stock midpipes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Are LM1s obnoxiously loud w/ stock midpipes?

From what I heard on clips and such LM1's are toneless annoyances however I've also heard from others that they are the best sounding system, or they give the most sound for the buck for a stock midpipe/headers. LM2's arent nearly as loud until you punch it, of course, any exhaust setup that you have, even stock, will be loud when oyu punch it but LM1s are just annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooyyinnggg and man when you rev em and let off I swear it sounds like god farted or something
Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

For some reason....I would rather mine be badass sounding while I'm cruising (because I do that 99% of the time) and then be quiet when I'm on it (attracting attention while speeding = bad). That's just me though.

I may be switching to a regular magnaflow catback....because its got a better fit and quality and 3.5" tips (flowmaster has gay 3") and its quieter. I really don't think I want my car to be super loud anymore, I just want it to be fast! lol
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

anyone know how many Db the lm1's hit? im looking at some muffler/collectors that are 95 Db and im just trying to compare them to stuff i've heard
Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

lm1's = racecar sound

lm2's = typical magnaflow/flowmaster sound
I would argue the lm2 part. I think they sound nothing like Flows. IMO LM 1 sounds more like Flows. They are both kind of raw and throaty sounding.

And with my LM 2 and a stock midpipe, its pretty loud at start up, pretty decent at cruising, and very loud at WOT. I have to speak up a little to have an in car conversation while cruising, not really because of the noise, but the bass/rumble. But I always wanted to rattle other people's car doors when I drove by.

Heres a PM nanaki sent me when I was trying to choose "if you get an H pipe, i'd say the LM1s in terms of loudness that you could feel from furthest away. the LM2s have more bass, but not as loud so you probably won't feel them as far away. tough choice man. LM1 is sheer loudness that you can somewhat feel, LM2s is really loud, but damn can you feel them when you're near it. "
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 PM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rainydayracing
He said that it was b/c he was setting off all of the car alarms as he drove in...lol. I wasn't there, but that's his story and he's sticking to it.
That story is complete bullsh!t...There are SO much louder cars at a strip than a Mustang with LM1's. A LS1 with a SLP Exhaust WAY louder. Tell him to find a better story.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:09 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

owned
ORIGINAL: V8Cody

ORIGINAL: rainydayracing
He said that it was b/c he was setting off all of the car alarms as he drove in...lol. I wasn't there, but that's his story and he's sticking to it.
That story is complete bullsh!t...There are SO much louder cars at a strip than a Mustang with LM1's. A LS1 with a SLP Exhaust WAY louder. Tell him to find a better story.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:20 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

lm1's = racecar sound

lm2's = typical magnaflow/flowmaster sound
no

lm1's= no tone wats so ever just plain loud and raspy
lm2's= deep throaty sound and loud when you get on it. sounds nothing like flows and doesnt have the drone of flows.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
snakeman4life
4th Gear Member

They have plenty of tone and are NOT raspy when used with a stock midpipe,it's when the cats are gone they get annoying.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:34 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98GTpony

how can you get banned from a track when your exhaust is too loud?
If he was racing he could, alot of street classes have a decibel limit to the exhaust.

I've always thought the LM1's sounded too much like a truck...ie: Dodge Ram or Chevy 350 pickup with exhaust
Old 12-01-2006, 02:43 AM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

Well the track has NEVER said anything about my exhaust being too loud. Myself being a person who has a rather loud setup.
-BBK O/R Xpipe
-SLP LM1 Catback

I wouldn't say its obnoxiously loud, but it is definetely NOT for the faint of heart. Yeah, I can set off car-alarms at about 3500 RPM...but if I need to keep it quiet it is not hard. 4th and 5th Gears work excellent for keeping it quiet.

Quick Reply: Are LM1s obnoxiously loud w/ stock midpipes?