4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Automatics-afternarket users

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:35 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatics-afternarket users

ORIGINAL: blstoffthe stock TC stalls around 1800rpms . if you drive on the street alot you probably wont like a 3800 stall . mine stalls around 3000 rpm's , here is the link if you want to read about it.........http://www.converter.com/stallion.htm
This link is for the PI converters which need further modifications to be strong enough to lock in 2nd as they do not use carbon clutches. Circle D in Texas reworks them.

The GT stalls at 2800 and that is from a worker at Ford. Just find a steep hill and keep the tranny in 2nd and hit the throttle and the tach will flash to about 2600rpm's. I am sure of this fact. You can contact Dirtydog performance at 513-535-7153. He makes converters for BC-automotive whose number is 317-514-0816.
These guys recently did a stick to auto swap in the january issue of MM&FF on a 600whp+ Cobra which has since gone into the 9's.
You can get stock stalls for many Ford converters at www.tccoa.com which is a thunderbird/cougar forum. Do a search for stall speed or converters. Alan (dirtydog) makes 2 converters and 1 is a 10" at $550. shipped with stalls up to 3600-3800 and a 9.5" for the power adder guys that is $850. shipped. Both of these are strong enough to lock in 2nd gear and that is where the good times come from and that makes them very streetable. mark
This is the link to common 4R70W converter stock stalls and I stand corrected, the stock GT has between 2324 and 2737rpm stall. All converters would have a different range depending on the car it is in. Bistoffs converter would have a little different stall in a car with different HP. Hope this helps clear this up! Good site also as they have the tranny converter guru's there.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...onverter+stall
Old 12-07-2006, 11:42 AM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

ORIGINAL: blstoffthe stock TC stalls around 1800rpms . if you drive on the street alot you probably wont like a 3800 stall . mine stalls around 3000 rpm's , here is the link if you want to read about it.........http://www.converter.com/stallion.htm
This link is for the PI converters which need further modifications to be strong enough to lock in 2nd as they do not use carbon clutches. Circle D in Texas reworks them.

The GT stalls at 2800 and that is from a worker at Ford. Just find a steep hill and keep the tranny in 2nd and hit the throttle and the tach will flash to about 2600rpm's. I am sure of this fact. You can contact Dirtydog performance at 513-535-7153. He makes converters for BC-automotive whose number is 317-514-0816.
These guys recently did a stick to auto swap in the january issue of MM&FF on a 600whp+ Cobra which has since gone into the 9's.
You can get stock stalls for many Ford converters at www.tccoa.com which is a thunderbird/cougar forum. Do a search for stall speed or converters. Alan (dirtydog) makes 2 converters and 1 is a 10" at $550. shipped with stalls up to 3600-3800 and a 9.5" for the power adder guys that is $850. shipped. Both of these are strong enough to lock in 2nd gear and that is where the good times come from and that makes them very streetable. mark
This is the link to common 4R70W converter stock stalls and I stand corrected, the stock GT has between 2324 and 2737rpm stall. All converters would have a different range depending on the car it is in. Bistoffs converter would have a little different stall in a car with different HP. Hope this helps clear this up! Good site also as they have the tranny converter guru's there.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...onverter+stall
Are you saying you need to stay in 2nd in order to use the converter?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fiad06
ORIGINAL: sweet99
This link is for the PI converters which need further modifications to be strong enough to lock in 2nd as they do not use carbon clutches. Circle D in Texas reworks them. The GT stalls at 2800 and that is from a worker at Ford. Just find a steep hill and keep the tranny in 2nd and hit the throttle and the tach will flash to about 2600rpm's. I am sure of this fact. You can contact Dirtydog performance at 513-535-7153. He makes converters for BC-automotive whose number is 317-514-0816.These guys recently did a stick to auto swap in the january issue of MM&FF on a 600whp+ Cobra which has since gone into the 9's. You can get stock stalls for many Ford converters at www.tccoa.com which is a thunderbird/cougar forum. Do a search for stall speed or converters. Alan (dirtydog) makes 2 converters and 1 is a 10" at $550. shipped with stalls up to 3600-3800 and a 9.5" for the power adder guys that is $850. shipped. Both of these are strong enough to lock in 2nd gear and that is where the good times come from and that makes them very streetable. markThis is the link to common 4R70W converter stock stalls and I stand corrected, the stock GT has between 2324 and 2737rpm stall. All converters would have a different range depending on the car it is in. Bistoffs converter would have a little different stall in a car with different HP. Hope this helps clear this up! Good site also as they have the tranny converter guru's there.http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...onverter+stall
Are you saying you need to stay in 2nd in order to use the converter?
No not at all! What a GOOD coverter will allow us to do is have out tuners have the converter lock up in 2nd gear right after it shifts from first. An inexpensive converter will not hold the 2nd gear torque as the converter multiplies the amount of torque and before long it would fail, the poorer converter. With one from Alan aka dirtydOg at the site I referenced he makes a 10" converter that can have many different stalls depending on your power that will handle locking in 2nd gear and remained locked through the 1/4 mile or 3rd gear.
Locking in 2nd will make your car from .1 to .3 or more quicker depending on it;'s power. I used .3 because 1 guy tried running the 1/4 both ways, 2nd locked and not and the difference was .3. More to come. mark
PS: I found my car and it's bolt ons maxed out. Then I researched torque converters. With a GOOD converter, and there are 3 that i know of, like PI, Circle D and BC-automotive who gets their converters from Alan(dirtydog), a Stang can drop nearly .8 from it's 1/4 mile time by having the converter lock in 2nd gear and having enough stall to begin with. i believe 3000 should be the minimum. Remember that with it locking in 2nd gear street manners are improved greatly. Our motors make max torque at 4000rpm's so I will go with a 3600-3800rpm stall converter. Contact Alan at the number I provided in a post above and give him your mod and goals and he can tailor a converter for your needs. mark