4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MPG/Performance Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Fantor

Default MPG/Performance Help!!!

Hi:
This is my first post here however; I have been a life long Mustang owner. For the past 8 yrs or so I have been driving a 94 Cobra 10 or so miles round trip to work each day. The performance was great and I hardly noticed the gas mileage. I filed up every other week or so and life was great. :-) Recently I have been relocated down south and now travel 60+ miles round trip to work and back each day. :-( Believing a newer Mustang would give me better gas mileage I left the Cobra up north with a friend and bought a 04 GT. Over the past month I am dropping $50.00+ a week in gas and barely getting 15mpg. My daily drive mostly consists of city/traffic jammed highway driving. I never modded any of my Mustangs, so I have come here for help. I am looking to improve gas mileage by 8-10 mpg and increases HP to 300 for under $1000.00. After a few days of reading the forums I have come up with the following mods.

1. CAI = MAC.
2. 75mm TB/Plenum = Accufab
3. Under drive Pulleys = BBK if there not piggy backed otherwise Steeda.
4. Computer Chip = Have not decided yet need to do more research, looking at super chips right now.
5. Exhaust = 40 Series Delta Flow flowmaster mufflers. The rest of the exhaust system is stock.

What do you guys think is this setup??? Also any other suggestions are welcome. Should I mod the exhaust more?? H / X pipes, 2.5 pipes, etc...

Fantor
Old 12-09-2006, 04:27 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: MPG/Performance Help!!!

long tubes... CAI... and performance tune.... all of these things will increase efficany - also if your crazy you can go to a lower gear... 2.73
Old 12-09-2006, 04:45 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fantor

Hi:
This is my first post here however; I have been a life long Mustang owner. For the past 8 yrs or so I have been driving a 94 Cobra 10 or so miles round trip to work each day. The performance was great and I hardly noticed the gas mileage. I filed up every other week or so and life was great. :-) Recently I have been relocated down south and now travel 60+ miles round trip to work and back each day. :-( Believing a newer Mustang would give me better gas mileage I left the Cobra up north with a friend and bought a 04 GT. Over the past month I am dropping $50.00+ a week in gas and barely getting 15mpg. My daily drive mostly consists of city/traffic jammed highway driving. I never modded any of my Mustangs, so I have come here for help. I am looking to improve gas mileage by 8-10 mpg and increases HP to 300 for under $1000.00. After a few days of reading the forums I have come up with the following mods.

1. CAI = MAC.
2. 75mm TB/Plenum = Accufab
3. Under drive Pulleys = BBK if there not piggy backed otherwise Steeda.
4. Computer Chip = Have not decided yet need to do more research, looking at super chips right now.
5. Exhaust = 40 Series Delta Flow flowmaster mufflers. The rest of the exhaust system is stock.

What do you guys think is this setup??? Also any other suggestions are welcome. Should I mod the exhaust more?? H / X pipes, 2.5 pipes, etc...

Fantor

Completely and totally impossible.

I have never seen anyone be able to produce any sort of evidence (or even claim) that they got significant improvement in MPG from any modification. I did get about 1 to 1.5 MPG on the highway only (straight 70 MPH cruising) with the supercharger, but its gone totally to **** in town if I am on it at all.

You have a mustang, and in crappy traffic (stop and go) you are getting lucky to see 15 MPG.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:53 PM
MollyMustang
1st Gear Member

Have you tried doing a basic tune up on the 04 yet? From what I have noticed, the plugs, a dirty air filter, and a multitude of other things can affect gas millage.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:04 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

My stock mustang gets a tad over 20 mpg. Underdrive pulleys will give you +1 mpg so I've heard. I also heard timing adjusters can be used to gain a little more too. You can get a tune for whatever octane level you prefer as well.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Your gas mileage sounds like it is on the low side of normal for stop/go type of driving.

First make sure the car is in tune...when was the last time the wires and plugs were changed ?
Air filter ? All that stuff.

Make sure tires are inflated properly & change the oil. This is all stuff that needs to be done and there is nothing to be gained by dealying them.

With the above out of the way re check your MPG

As far as the bolt on stuff - some things do improve the gas mileage because they affect the efficiency of the engine.

Timing advance either from an adjuster or chip helps. A chip will probably increase fuel at the same time and you will be too busy stepping on the gas to worry about mileage

A bigger TB will do nothing or hurt a bit since it reduces velocity of the intake air.

Pulleys will improve mileage.

Exaust will either help or hurt depending how you react to it - If you use the sound to gage how hard you are working the engine and drive gently it will save you gas. If you are like me and like to hear the throaty growl - well you know what I mean.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Fantor,

Just curious. What type of tranny? Auto or 5 speed? 15 sounds a bit low. Also, after paying for all these mods, how long is it going to take you to get your money back? Personally, I don't think spending money on mods is going to help. Sounds like you may have a problem and you'd just be masking it with all these add ons. I have an 02 GT and I can squeeze 23 mpg out of it using mostly 5th gear and driving like my grandma.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:24 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

15 is a bit low, but remeber that he is talking about what sounds like nightmare stop and go big city traffic.

I know my DD goes from 41 MPG to 33 MPG just from adding 10 minutes to every 30 of highway driving.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I suppose, although 15 mpg sounds like SUV mileage. I am sure there is a margin of error here too. Hell, if it were me, I'd just get another job. I hate bumper to bumper, especially with a stick.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 PM
ut

How many miles are on your car? Is it due for a fuel filter change? I get about 17mpg with mostly city driving.