4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tar on my door?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: tar on my door?

I use Poorboys Bug Squash or Stoner Tarminator for getting off tar. You can also use a claybar if it still has residue left over. I don't recommend using the clay on chunks of tar.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Tar & Bug remover will work just fine.

I wouldn't use a clay bar, it'll just smear it around.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 PM
DrBob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juztang

I use Poorboys Bug Squash or Stoner Tarminator for getting off tar. You can also use a claybar if it still has residue left over. I don't recommend using the clay on chunks of tar.
Why? I have been using it for years with better results than any other bug and tar remover.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:55 PM
DrBob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Tar & Bug remover will work just fine.

I wouldn't use a clay bar, it'll just smear it around.
Clay bars do not smear if you know how to use them. If there is not enough lubrication for the clay bar to slide over, it will smear. I started using a clay bar at the request of one of my clients. He did not want me using any spray solvents on his Ferrari. I did not like the clay bar at first, but have grown to like more than any other cleaning method. That is just my opinion. I am not saying any one is wrong with what they prefer to use, but a clay bar works GREAT when used properly.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:04 PM
jitt
1st Gear Member

i use and always will use clean odorless mineral spirits....takes off everything including the resin that smears on our interiors from the butterfly in the a/c vent.......yes it is also safe on factory leather.....NEVER use acetone on paint or leather it kills the dye on the leather and melts the clearcoat on the paint.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:14 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Goo Gone. I use it and never have a problem. has citric something or other, so any other citric cleaner i think works too. But definitely Goo Gone.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DrBob

Why? I have been using it for years with better results than any other bug and tar remover.
I use a claybar once i get the big chunks of tar off. There is usually a yellowish stain leftover from the tar that I use the clay to remove. I don't like using clay on big chunks of tar because you are moving it back across the paint. Plus it is ruining the claybar. I like to use a product that is designed to take off tar. There is nothing wrong with using a claybar if there is a small amount of tar and just saying you shouldn't use it for big chunks.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
DrBob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DrBob

I use a claybar once i get the big chunks of tar off. There is usually a yellowish stain leftover from the tar that I use the clay to remove. I don't like using clay on big chunks of tar because you are moving it back across the paint. Plus it is ruining the claybar. I like to use a product that is designed to take off tar. There is nothing wrong with using a claybar if there is a small amount of tar and just saying you shouldn't use it for big chunks.
Point well taken. I guess the best thing someone can do is stay out of the tar!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:26 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Thanks, gents. This is honesly the best response I have ever gotten after asking a question. Usually, I have to fight to get more than one opinion. Thanks a lot for your time.