4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dispelling Cop Car Myths

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
BoanHed
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: in my area, im not to worried about the crown vics just the dodge chargers and new edge mustangs

ORIGINAL: Miliock

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

You can outrun a police car but it's much harder to outrun the police radio (speed of light).

lol dude radio waves don't travel at the speed of light
Umm actually, yeah... they do.
a radio wave is electromagnetic, ie. "light", not an actual sound wave.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dispelling Cop Car Myths

quote:

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

You can outrun a police car but it's much harder to outrun the police radio (speed of light).

lol dude radio waves don't travel at the speed of light
Yeah, there a little different....so Ive heard....
Old 12-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

down in cali my buddies' dad is a highway patrol and he said they're all switching up to the ls1 camaros and tahoes for offroad. But yea the crown vics down there have upgraded suspension, bigger radiator and tranny cooler.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:39 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

BoanHed = best sig ever
Old 12-18-2006, 08:58 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

I"ll take em all. Thank you. lol
Old 12-18-2006, 09:09 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

There's a local LS1 around here that I wouldnt go near. You wont outrun him I can assure you. It's a red Z28 with some chrome 19"s on it. DARK tinted windows. He is a NARC but also likes to drive around and catch racers or people with fast cars. He revved on me not long ago, but I knew better. I had just seen him with some little Acura pulled over a few minutes earlier. One of my buddies has worked on his car and says theres nothing stock under that hood and he is running a 150 shot. I'd believe it cause he came around me once and you could see and smell it when he started spraying.[&:]
Old 12-18-2006, 09:26 PM
pallidamors
Banned

Entrapment . I always used to think cops were out to get me, and against me too. Until I realized, that I DO SPEED, I DO DRAG RACE around and I DO BURNOUT like 90% of us on here. Not saying that it is wrong, not saying that I won't continue to do it. Just saying that I no longer BLAME the cops for busting my stupd *** for BRAKING THE LAW like thier supposed to. If your street racing (reckless driving, endangerment, excessive speed, all things that CAN KILL) and a unmarked cop car busts you for it, how does it all of a sudden turn into HIS fault? As if, if he wasn't there none of those risks would have been? You wern't breaking the law until "he trapped you!"? Time to take responsibility for ones own hot rodding actions and stop doing the 15 year old thing on this board and blaming the Police

I see nothing wrong with the police enforcing the law and punishing those who break it. The only thing I have an issue with is when the police entice people into wrongdoing. For example when a female officer dresses up as a prostitute and then arrests the old men that solicit her "service" even after they ask if she is a cop or not. To me thats wrong, but to each their own.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lookin4astang

There's a local LS1 around here that I wouldnt go near. You wont outrun him I can assure you. It's a red Z28 with some chrome 19"s on it. DARK tinted windows. He is a NARC but also likes to drive around and catch racers or people with fast cars. He revved on me not long ago, but I knew better. I had just seen him with some little Acura pulled over a few minutes earlier. One of my buddies has worked on his car and says theres nothing stock under that hood and he is running a 150 shot. I'd believe it cause he came around me once and you could see and smell it when he started spraying.[&:]
Aww come on! Nitrous is totally illegal to use on the street. So this cop somehow got an exemption from his superiors to use it? There are other LEGAL ways of making more power like F/I.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

so chp cop cars arent s/c ?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:35 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pallidamors

I have seen quite a few threads on this site that pertain to cop cars and more specifically crown victorias. Having owned a 2002 crown vic I speak from personal experience and hope that my knowledge can help in some ways debunk some common myths about cops cars.

Myth 1. Cop cars have supped up motors

Truth 1. Police motors and civillian motors are exactly the same (4.6 liter 225 hp until 2002 then 235-240, and finally 250 in its current form). The only difference between cop cars and standard crown vics in this respect is their computer. The police car has no top speed limiter and a slightly better ecu program that allows it to shift faster.

Myth 2. Cop cars are supercharged.

Truth 2. No (for more info see answer 1)

Myth 3. Police cars have some sort of mystical super chip installed that allows them to reach blazing speeds.

Truth 3. False police cars only have a slighty different ecu (see answer 1.)

Myth 4. Cop cars are really really fast.

Truth 4. False. While it may be able to reach a reasonably high top speed (140 mph +) it runs high 15's at best at the drag strip and is severly underpowered for its weight.

Thankyou for listening to my rant...lol

Not true. My patrol car has a top speed limiter, and shuts off around 128, give or take.

They may be tuned different than civilian CV's, but mine shifts at redline just like my stock Mustang does at WOT...most dohave various minor variances from the factory, and no, I don't know them all-I've heard of high output alternators, tranny coolers and so on.

Quick Reply: Dispelling Cop Car Myths