4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

traction control

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: traction control

maybe somebody can tell me the truth about this:... I have heard that unless you cut off the trac with a tuner that pushing the button doesnt unleash the beast completely, So far I think that is true, compared to my friends car that has it shut off, to mine which I turn off He seems to be gettin more power and smoking out alot more...and this me refering to when I drive both cars.. is there any truth to this?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

maybe somebody can tell me the truth about this:... I have heard that unless you cut off the trac with a tuner that pushing the button doesnt unleash the beast completely, So far I think that is true, compared to my friends car that has it shut off, to mine which I turn off He seems to be gettin more power and smoking out alot more...and this me refering to when I drive both cars.. is there any truth to this?
Hmmm.. never heard this before, I have a tuner but left my traction control along. I like having it on in the rain. I too am interested about this though..
Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

never heard of this. im pretty sure its prolly just in ur head
Old 01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

The factory traction controlhas the ability to dothree things. It applies braking to the spinning tire(s), retards ignition timing andshortens the pulse width to the injectors. On a N/A engine, (whether it works or not or if you like it or not) , it's not going to hurt your car. On a F/I engine, having the traction control enabled is dangerous. When the computer shortens the pulse width to the injectors under boost a very lean A/F ratio can occur. Lean A/F ratios are very prone to detonation, (pinging), and can cause piston/rod failure. Not a very pretty scenario if you ask me.

I personally like the T/C on my N/A engine, but I will be permanently disabling it after the KB goes on.

That's just me though....................
Old 01-06-2007, 04:04 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

The factory traction controlhas the ability to dothree things. It applies braking to the spinning tire(s), retards ignition timing andshortens the pulse width to the injectors. On a N/A engine, (whether it works or not or if you like it or not) , it's not going to hurt your car. On a F/I engine, having the traction control enabled is dangerous. When the computer shortens the pulse width to the injectors under boost a very lean A/F ratio can occur. Lean A/F ratios are very prone to detonation, (pinging), and can cause piston/rod failure. Not a very pretty scenario if you ask me.

I personally like the T/C on my N/A engine, but I will be permanently disabling it after the KB goes on.

Wow, I had no idea about the traction control damaging the car if you have FI. Looks like I will be keeping the car N/A for good. I love traction control, especially in slick weather (my car is a DD).
Old 01-06-2007, 04:55 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

That is very true. In my SHM book on "how to build max power" (or something to that tune), he documented that he was one of the first to test the Vortech kits for the New Edgewhen they came out in 1999. They swapped injectors, threw on the s/c, and took it for a spin. First launch, T/C came on and boom.Leanedit out. HAHA. Thats crazy. I'm on my second 99GT, and neither had TC thank god(I'm guessing it was an option).