4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I need some Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 02:03 AM
zachwebb18

Default I need some Mod Help

Alright Guys i have recently aquired a 99gt. It is bone stock except for K&N and dual Flows. I have ordered a cold air intake. I have decided on ford racing shorty headers from Mustangs Unlimited. I am also going to buy hi flow cats. X pipe or H pipe(what brand)? Are underdrive pullies really effective? I have also looked a a super chip from the mag that claims a 23hp 29ft/lbs. If anyone has any other low cost ideas please hit me up. Oh yeah, I am trying to get my car up to par with a friends 97 cobra(bone stock). is this gonna be difficult. Thanks.

Zach Webb
Old 09-23-2004, 02:13 AM
zachwebb18

Default RE: I need some Mod Help

Oh yeah, what exactly does 4:10 gears do and where and how much can i get a good set. Thanks for the help.

Zach Webb
Old 09-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Save your money,cold air intakes are useless.Install a high flow air filter,S&B,K&N,or Kool Blue,and trim your air silencer.Shorty headers are useless,get long tube headers.Underdrive pulleys do work,they also prolong the life of engine accessories.(165000 mi.on a waterpump was my personal exp).Superchips do more for automatic trans.cars than anything else.Claims of 23 hp are optimistic,this probably did happen once so they can truthfully use it in ad's.Try Superchips Custom Tuning,they will burn a chip for just YOUR car and mods.The 4.10 gears raise engine RPM's at a given automobile speed and therefore provide more torque to get the car moving faster.This makes the car quicker at the sacrifice of theoretical top end speed.Theoretical top end speed is the speed with no external drag holding the car back.The people over at Mustangworld.com say that the theoretical top end speed with 4.10's is well over 200 MPH.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:43 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

To simplify the gear explanation, they basicly give the engine more leverage to work with. A gearset like 3.73 or 4.10 will allow the engine to wind up quicker, thus throwing it into the powerband quicker. Like chopper said, you do sacrifice top end speed, but even with 4.10 gears I think at 60 or 65 MPH your still going to be in the 2500 rpm range. Basicly it doesnt really matter about the top end thing. I would recommend a 3.73 gearset, after the power mods add up, traction is going to be hard to come by with the 4.10s on street tires.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:49 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Sorry about the double post. I forgot to hit on the shorty header thing. Shorty headers ARE NOT useless! A good set of shorty headers isnt going to outflow long tubes by anymeans, but they will at least keep up with the longtubes. A good set of shorties (Equal Length of course) would be a great investment. Its one of those mods that grow with the car, you will really see the potential of the shorties as the mods come. Shorties are going to be easier to work around, you wont have to worry about frying anything under the hood (as you would with long tubes) clearance issues wont be nearly as frustrating as they would with long tubes either. Also shorties can actually be emissions legal where as longtubes, good luck with that. Keep an open mind when modding your car.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

Sorry about the double post. I forgot to hit on the shorty header thing. Shorty headers ARE NOT useless! A good set of shorty headers isnt going to outflow long tubes by anymeans, but they will at least keep up with the longtubes. A good set of shorties (Equal Length of course) would be a great investment. Its one of those mods that grow with the car, you will really see the potential of the shorties as the mods come. Shorties are going to be easier to work around, you wont have to worry about frying anything under the hood (as you would with long tubes) clearance issues wont be nearly as frustrating as they would with long tubes either. Also shorties can actually be emissions legal where as longtubes, good luck with that. Keep an open mind when modding your car.
You know,he's right!!! My mistake!!!You can bolt these right up to your stock exhaust and change things when you have the time and money.Do your research though,all headers are not created equal.This shows the real value of these forums.Don't listen to just one person.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

^^^ Respect to that man right there.... He admitted he could be wrong and gave some solid advice.. I applaud you.... (I'm NOT being sarcastic)

Yeah, I think I like the mid-legnths the best, the best of both worlds, but shorties are what I wanted for my 4.6L

They're cheap, bolt right up to your exisiting exhaust and give awesome sound/power. THey may not give you as much peak performance as LT's, but no clearance issues (ground and underhood) easy to work around, good sound, nice look, and a nice hunk of power.

LT's vs. ST's is starting to become like 3.73's vs. 4.10's

They covered gears pretty dern well... Gas Mileage down, Fun potential WAY UP!