4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI Swap....what does it mean??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:40 PM
PntyDrpr

Default PI Swap....what does it mean??

So, in almost every mustang forum...somewhere in there I have seen threads about PI Swaps and whatnot...and im like WTF?? What does that mean and what does it do for the pony.

Also, to kinda go along with that...with our 281s besides the full bolt-ons, is there anything that can be done to the engine (without rebuilding) to bring out its full potential?? My pony is a 2000 with 93,XXX miles and my engine was rebuilt at 82,XXX miles and Im thinking of adding a supercharger and focusing on some engine work. The engine was rebuilt due to a busted cylinder head and broken rod. Any ideas boys and thanks for the help.[/align]__________________
[/align]
Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 PM
ant02gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: PI Swap....what does it mean??

yea im new at this but i believe the PI refers to the types of heads on new edge mustangs. Im not completely sure and im probably wrong. Im sure the guys here will correct me quickly if im wrong but maybe this will point you in the riht direction

Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

If your stang is a 2000 then it already has PI heads and manifold. The PI swap refers to 96-98 motors getting 99+ heads, cams, manifoldswapped on for more HP. Since yours is a 2000 you need not worry about the swap.

As far as more HP, if you have done all boltons and you want more then you can port and polish your heads, go with aftermarket cams, and there is always super charging. Don't forget rear gears as well.

good luck
Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 AM
PntyDrpr

Thanks so much ArmyDad

One last question....what does it mean to "port and polish" your heads??
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 AM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

Porting and polishing is talking about smoothing out the casting flaws in the heads which hurt airflow.

If you've ever looked at a factory head, you can see all the rough edges and casting marks in the intake and exhaust passages. This really hurts airflow and can be smoothed out with a die grinder. You can also gasket match the ports, which open them up a little because the opening in the intake gasket is usually larger than the openings on the head. All this can be done to the intake as well.