4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Air Silencer

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:19 PM
CivicStomper96
1st Gear Member

Default Air Silencer

Hey, I own a '96 auto GT .. Ive been reading and seeing people saying they removed their air silencer.. Where is my air silencer, how do i remove it, and how does it benefit my car? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 06:32 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Air Silencer

The air-silencer is that stupid piece of soft rubber over the air intake. Its supposed to keep airflow quiet. It doesnt benfit your vehicle in anyway what so ever. It just hinders it by reducing airflow. Im not sure the exact way to take it out. But you could just cut that bitch up and take it out like that. LOL
Old 09-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Your air intake silencer is located on the fender side of the air filter housing.To trim this,remove the air filter and reach inside the housing.Feel around for the silencer,it's made of flexible rubber, go to the rear of the silencer,and bend it toward the center untill you can pull it into the air box and remove it from the inside.Now once you have it out you can see why it is a major restriction.Take something sharp ,it makes for a cleaner looking job,and trim the restrictive part off.I trimmed mine at an angle with the top being left longer as well as the front.You want to leave as much as possible to take advantage of the cooler air inside the fenderwell.You can also remove the screen in front of the mass air meter.Just remember to replace the rubber seal between the air inlet and the MAM.If your car runs weird or anything try resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 30 mins and reconnect.If you have to reinstall the screen it MUST be installed with the wires running at 90* to the MAM.Just remember how it looked when you removed it .
Old 09-29-2004, 06:52 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Your air intake silencer is located on the fender side of the air filter housing.To trim this,remove the air filter and reach inside the housing.Feel around for the silencer,it's made of flexible rubber, go to the rear of the silencer,and bend it toward the center untill you can pull it into the air box and remove it from the inside.Now once you have it out you can see why it is a major restriction.Take something sharp ,it makes for a cleaner looking job,and trim the restrictive part off.I trimmed mine at an angle with the top being left longer as well as the front.You want to leave as much as possible to take advantage of the cooler air inside the fenderwell.You can also remove the screen in front of the mass air meter.Just remember to replace the rubber seal between the air inlet and the MAM.If your car runs weird or anything try resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 30 mins and reconnect.If you have to reinstall the screen it MUST be installed with the wires running at 90* to the MAM.Just remember how it looked when you removed it .
What he said ^^