4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Macs Exhaust Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default Macs Exhaust Info

Might be off topic....but it applied to me...and i have a 4.6 so screw it....for those who are interested:

I've been looking at gettin a Mac Catback along with a Prochamber with cats for my 03 GT with an automatic transmission. For the past few months I've been looking at a few places to buy them including Mustangs Unlimited, as well as American Muscle....both places were out of stock, as well as a few other places and never seemed to be able to get them back in.

Also almost all of the advertised H-pipes or Prochambers I've seen were listed for manual transmissions only. I was also concerned about the aluminized exhausts being prone to rust from talking to people on this forum....so today, after having too many questions I said "screw it" and called Mac directly.

First I must say, their customer service and tech support was amazing...if you ever plan on getting Exhaust parts from them, call them direct...seriously...

well heres what I found out: As of 2007 they are no longer making any midpipes with catalytic converters....the reason being, its the only part on their exhausts that arent made by Mac themselves...but by a company called CatCo....and in the past year especially, the quality of the cats they were getting were very poor....the tech guy said that about one out of every five catted midpipes was returned solely based on that fact....and catco would only insure their cats for a ridiculously small amount of time, something like 10k miles....while Mac's goal is to gaurantee their stuff for 50k (at least)....so until Mac perfects their own cat design, they wont be producing any midpipes without them...thus all "off road" pipes for a while...

This being said, I told him that I was nervous about passing emissions with an O/R pipe and he said unless they do a visual check (which obviously you will fail), if your car is running correctly otherwise, the O/R pipe wont cause any problems....and suggested getting a handheld tuner like the Xcal2 to turn off the CEL...(which i already have)....

Also as of 2007 all midpipes for stangs SN95s, New Edges and S197's have been redesigned to fit both manual and automatic cars with no clearance issues whatsoever...

aaaand finally for a slightly higher price, you can call Mac directly and get anyone of their current production exhaust pieces, all the way from headers, to midpipes to catbacks....made solely of Stainless Steel....which is what I did...So in the next week or two I'll be getting a brand new Stainless Steel Prochamber and Stainless Steel Catback

I dont think I've ever been so pleased with the customer service of any other company I've ever done buisiness with....the guy really knew his sh*t and wasnt trying to push a sale at all....I HIGHLY recommend doing buisiness with them direct....great people....

Old 01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
lsustang04
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Macs Exhaust Info

Yeah, I tried ordering a mac catted h midpipe from several vendors and they were always on backorder. Went to a local performance vendor and they said their midpipes are crap anyways. Decided to go Bassani x midpipe rout, but I want to change the flow catback to a straight through muff catback. Their is too much rasp between the x pipe and chambered muffs.