4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question on Transmission fluid change help pls.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Question on Transmission fluid change help pls.

Ok so how hard is it to change the transmission fluid on a 04 GT 4r70w automatic?
My friend says we can do it in like 30 min jus get the fluid and filter kit.
Hopefully the autopart store has it I think a discount or an advance auto parts would have it right?

So my question is how hard is the fluid change? And whats the proper way to do it?
I currently have 30,500 milesand wanted to change it before I go to the track tomorrow.
Thanks!

Also fluid recommendations?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question on Transmission fluid change help pls.

im not 100% sure but i belive there is a drain plug on the tranny
Old 02-03-2007, 12:10 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

i dont know if we have screw in type filters or not?... but the biggest thing is fluid change
Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

You'll need I believe it is 16 quarts, you will have to drop the pan, drain there, and remove the filter.then there is a rubber access plug on the bottom of the bell housung, remove that and spin the converter till you can access the drain plug there, it is fine thread so be careful. drain the converter, best to have something else to do while this is going on, it will take a while. And yes this is the proper way to do a fluid exhange on a ford. once drained, reinstall a new filter, reuse the old gasket, it has a metal core, reinstall the converter drain plug and the access plug. If I remember right I was able to pour ten quarts in before it started backing up the funnel. Then start the vehicle and let it suck that fluid in, it may take a few minutes depending on weather, angle of car and such, it is best to have the car up on four jack stands, easier to get to the tranny and important for the next steps. Add maybe 3 more quarts, let it suck that in. Then with the vehicle running and your foot on the brake/ebrake on, shift a few times between reverse and drive until the delay starts to go away, and then add the rest of the fluid according to the stick. and run through the gears again until the delay is gone. Check fluid once on the ground and repeat gear sequence. it should be good to go, check fluid as needed.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

You'll need I believe it is 16 quarts, you will have to drop the pan, drain there, and remove the filter.then there is a rubber access plug on the bottom of the bell housung, remove that and spin the converter till you can access the drain plug there, it is fine thread so be careful. drain the converter, best to have something else to do while this is going on, it will take a while. And yes this is the proper way to do a fluid exhange on a ford. once drained, reinstall a new filter, reuse the old gasket, it has a metal core, reinstall the converter drain plug and the access plug. If I remember right I was able to pour ten quarts in before it started backing up the funnel. Then start the vehicle and let it suck that fluid in, it may take a few minutes depending on weather, angle of car and such, it is best to have the car up on four jack stands, easier to get to the tranny and important for the next steps. Add maybe 3 more quarts, let it suck that in. Then with the vehicle running and your foot on the brake/ebrake on, shift a few times between reverse and drive until the delay starts to go away, and then add the rest of the fluid according to the stick. and run through the gears again until the delay is gone. Check fluid once on the ground and repeat gear sequence. it should be good to go, check fluid as needed.
SWEET thanks dude I will follow your instructions tomorrow when I go to do this at my buddies shop sounds like youve done this before. Ive done them on mychevrolet's th400so its roughly the sameAlso I need to know what fluid to run but I think I can find that in my manual.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:24 AM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

You tranny uses Mercon V fluid.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

NP at all, yeah I've done it three times now on my 99, mercron V it is. Remember do no use any sealant on the gasket either.