4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Standard vs Progressive rate?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:33 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default Standard vs Progressive rate?

What is the difference between these 2 types of springs?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:55 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Standard vs Progressive rate?

Progressive rate springs, are tapered in appearance. They are also designed, so that as the spring compresses, the Spring rate increases, to allow for a more manageable, and comfortable Street driven compromise. Personally, I don't like the idea of progressive rate springs on a track car, but that's just me..

Standard rates are just a single spring rate, no matter what..

JT
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

So progressive is best for the street?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Usually more comfortable for street driving yes, but I'd rather solid constant performance over a little better ride comfort. Thats my opinion though.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wes ley n the G T

Usually more comfortable for street driving yes, but I'd rather solid constant performance over a little better ride comfort. Thats my opinion though.
I agree! I do a lot of aggresive mountain driving during the summer. I used to have the Eibach Pro-Kit on my stang and I really didn't like them. I'd be going into a corner and it seemed the car took asecond to settle into the curve, and almost felt "soft" and unstable until the spring compressed, which was usually right as I was coming out of the corner.I got rid of those and installed BBK springs which are specific rate. Handlingis much better. Now when I go into corners it is solid all the way through and none of the soft or settling charactristics that the progressive rate Eibachshad. The ride with the specific rates wasn't much harsher than progressives.It is all what you are going to use your car for. If I drove my car around town all the time, maybe I'd go with the progressive rate springs, but since I corner carve a lot in the mountains, specific rate springs are better for me. It's all in what you are looking to do with your car.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

The majority of my driving is just driving around my town that I live in. It is a smaller town. They call it a city but it is really small. The roads vary from neighborhoods to long wide open cruising roads. This is not my daily driver, it is my fun car that I will be driving around for fun spring through fall. It won't see highway or anything like that.

Which type of spring do you guys think I should use? I don't want a ridiculously bumpy ride, but I want some better handling and a lower look.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:49 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

might be dumb Q, but are frpp c springs standard or progressive?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

might be dumb Q, but are frpp c springs standard or progressive?

I know Summit Racing has those and you should check out their website as it will tell you that. Also I have BBK 1.5 up front and they compress evenly around turns(exact pressure throughout the spring), but I think everyone is getting confused about Progressive rate. If it takes the first 1" of the spring to compress at 1,000lbs of presure, the 2nd takes 2,000lbs and the third 3,000lbs and so forth.(just rough numbers, no exact figures) The spring should compress instantly with no delays. The whole idea behind Progressive Rate is for cornering and so you don't have body roll. They are very rough for around town use, not smooth at all! I put specific rate up front and progressive out back because when you lower your car in the back it tends to bottom out on city roads more often, so Progressive rate makes it a little harsher, but it doesn't bottom out. Also with the progressives out back they stop the body roll out back. I'm sure they say you shouldn't do this in their "manual", but if you know your car and depending on the set-up and what you use it for are all factors.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

So now I am confused. Which is best for handling and driving wise? Basically, which is best overall?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 PM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I know Summit Racing has those and you should check out their website as it will tell you that. Also I have BBK 1.5 up front and they compress evenly around turns(exact pressure throughout the spring), but I think everyone is getting confused about Progressive rate. If it takes the first 1" of the spring to compress at 1,000lbs of presure, the 2nd takes 2,000lbs and the third 3,000lbs and so forth.(just rough numbers, no exact figures) The spring should compress instantly with no delays. The whole idea behind Progressive Rate is for cornering and so you don't have body roll. They are very rough for around town use, not smooth at all! I put specific rate up front and progressive out back because when you lower your car in the back it tends to bottom out on city roads more often, so Progressive rate makes it a little harsher, but it doesn't bottom out. Also with the progressives out back they stop the body roll out back. I'm sure they say you shouldn't do this in their "manual", but if you know your car and depending on the set-up and what you use it for are all factors.
I think you have it backwards (except for the varying spring rates on the progressive rate springs):

ProgressiveRate Springs: Spring rate variesthorughout the coils (lower rate on bottom and increases towards top), smoother ride over specific rate springs, "softer" handling, great city/highway driving.
Specific Rate Springs: Same spring rate throughout the spring, slightly harsher ride over progressive rate springs,quicker response todirection changes, stiff handling, great for corner carving.

BTW. FRPP "C" Springs are Specific Rate, FRPP "B" Springs are Progressive, BBK's you can get in either Specific (what I have) or Progressive Rates.