4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

complete shortblock... or build yourself

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: complete shortblock... or build yourself

well if i bought a built short block - it shouldnt be to hard to install - I dont like installing trannys, heck I jsut dont know - it seems to me that having them do it though is still cheaper (being rebuilt) bc the cost having the new block installed is going to be about the same or more (if you didnt want to get your hands dirty)
and 2400 for that motor doesnt seem too bad - but again, given the extra strength of rebuilt internals compared to that - Im not sure, not like anybody is really going to push more than 750 anyway, im just "internet" comparing
Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

Buy the SHM book and do it yourself it funner and cheaper
Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rantheman

Buy the SHM book and do it yourself it funner and cheaper
I was told the SHM book didn't get down into the nitty-gritty of building the engine, like step by step procedures, torque specs, tips and tricks etc. Do you have the book?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The SHM book sucks ***. Don't waste your money.

Bottom line- It is cheaper to build your own block and you can build a much stronger one for the money. It will take some leg work on your part but it is well worth it.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

The SHM book just tells you about the 4.6L and choices and routes and option to go buy and yes i do have it.It doesn't tell you how to put a motor together but it very helpfull still and it not a waste of 13 bucks
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I am still confused... why do you guys think that a prebuild shortblock is gonna be any weaker than one your build yourself?

You can custom order any of the parts you want from the engine builder and have them put it together. Why do you think a VT shortblock with the same componets as your shortblock that has been worked over is going to be any different?
Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 AM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Of course with a lot of legwork with building your own engine for cheap is possible. Many people do actually prefer to build there own engine. Honestly I have never built an engine start to finish but I have helped rebuild a smallblock chevy and a smallblock Ford. I have seen what all is involved in building a motor. Its not as easy as throwin stuff on and callin it a day and a lot of us don't have 4k to spend if the motor we just built drives for 100 miles and eats itself [:@]. I know building an OHV motor is a lot more time intensive than a OHV (pushrod motor). Look how many LSx motors have headswaps or P&P headsas compared to Fords modular motors.

The reason I will not build my shortblock and will either have 1 made for me at my shop (not likely) or will order one from VT or Sullivan or MMR is simply because I don't have any experience building Ford's Modular motors from the ground up. They come with a warranty and they have proven reputations. I don't.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

Of course with a lot of legwork with building your own engine for cheap is possible. Many people do actually prefer to build there own engine. Honestly I have never built an engine start to finish but I have helped rebuild a smallblock chevy and a smallblock Ford. I have seen what all is involved in building a motor. Its not as easy as throwin stuff on and callin it a day and a lot of us don't have 4k to spend if the motor we just built drives for 100 miles and eats itself [:@]. I know building an OHV motor is a lot more time intensive than a OHV (pushrod motor). Look how many LSx motors have headswaps or P&P headsas compared to Fords modular motors.

The reason I will not build my shortblock and will either have 1 made for me at my shop (not likely) or will order one from VT or Sullivan or MMR is simply because I don't have any experience building Ford's Modular motors from the ground up. They come with a warranty and they have proven reputations. I don't.
best response yet