4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best HP bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

Default Best HP bang for the buck?

Hi all... I picked up an '04 automaticgt convertible last month (9k miles) and installed a SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, removed air intake silencer, installed a K&N filter, and flashed the computer with Diablosport Predator w/+10 timing advance, and Mobil 1 oil.Now I'm trying to figure out what is the best bang for the buck for my next mod. This is not a daily driver car; it is only for weekends or when I feel like going to clubs or a track. I'm thinking about 4.10 gears, but heard that they can be installed improperly even by pros so I'm afraid of taking the risk and paying $300 for an install and end up with a loud rear end. Headers sound good but they seem to be difficult to put on (aka costly for an install- especially for convertibles). Underdrive pulleys may be cheap but I don't want my car to run like crap with weak power steering and reduced cooling/charging. I can't do an off road x-pipe because I need to register my car here in NY. I have seen many videos of people's engines starting on fire with nitrous. It seems that a throttle body / plenum would be good, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to install and what kind of real world gains to expect on the track. If anyone has realistic suggestions for additional power that you are very satisfied with, please help! (no lame "SUPERCHARGE IT" ideas please ) I'm takingit to a track in Detriot this year, and want to try to get it into the 14.2 range if possible. I think stock hardtop 5-speeds can do this, butI have an AT Convertible so there is some ground to make up...and Yes, I did ask for an auto because I was sick of shifting my civic). Thanks!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default RE: Best HP bang for the buck?

dont fear the gear. yeah they can mess up installation, but so can your doctor, dentist, banker, etc.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 AM
hammerdown99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mb7756

Hi all... I picked up an '04 automatic gt convertible last month (9k miles) and installed a SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, removed air intake silencer, installed a K&N filter, and flashed the computer with Diablosport Predator w/+10 timing advance.Now I'm trying to figure out what is the best bang for the buck for my next mod. I'm thinking about 4.10 gears, but heard that they can be installed improperly even by pros so I'm afraid of taking the risk and paying $300 for an install and end up with a loud rear end. Headers sound good but they seem to be difficult to put on (aka costly for an install- especially for convertibles). Underdrive pulleys may be cheap but I don't want my car to run like crap with weak power steering and reduced cooling/charging. I can't do an off road x-pipe because I need to register my car here in NY. I have seen many videos of people's engines starting on fire with nitrous. It seems that a throttle body / plenum would be good, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to install and what kind of real world gains to expect on the track. If anyone has realistic suggestions for additional power that you are very satisfied with, please help! (no lame "SUPERCHARGE IT" ideas please ) I'm takingit to a track in Detriot this year, and want to try to get it into the 14.2 range if possible. I think stock hardtop 5-speeds can do this, butI have an AT Convertible so there is some ground to make up). Thanks!
There is a huge misconception on nitrous. If installed properly and tuned properly you really should have no problems with it. It is by far the best bang for buck as you will be getting 100hp for around $550 for a wet kit. If you want to go with a high flow catted x pipe, the difference between it and an off road x pipe is around 2hp. Underdrive pullies do not mess with you power stearing and you will see no reduced power ( i have them ) just dont get the piggy back styles. I recommend steeda. ffrp 4.10's installed professionaly really should make no noise. throttle body/ plenum you will see about 6-8rwhp from. My suggestion would be to go with the nitrous, its what im going to do in a few months. Just be sure and get a TUNE. Its very important. Good luck man
Old 02-16-2007, 04:12 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the ideas and opinions, I really appreciate it!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:14 AM
hammerdown99
2nd Gear Member

No prob man and if you plan on taking your car to the track, some suspension upgrades would help out a lot. Upper and lower control arms, sub-frames, maybe some springs, shocks/struts.It helps tranfer weight better and get the power to the ground.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammerdown99

ORIGINAL: mb7756

Hi all... I picked up an '04 automatic gt convertible last month (9k miles) and installed a SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, removed air intake silencer, installed a K&N filter, and flashed the computer with Diablosport Predator w/+10 timing advance.Now I'm trying to figure out what is the best bang for the buck for my next mod. I'm thinking about 4.10 gears, but heard that they can be installed improperly even by pros so I'm afraid of taking the risk and paying $300 for an install and end up with a loud rear end. Headers sound good but they seem to be difficult to put on (aka costly for an install- especially for convertibles). Underdrive pulleys may be cheap but I don't want my car to run like crap with weak power steering and reduced cooling/charging. I can't do an off road x-pipe because I need to register my car here in NY. I have seen many videos of people's engines starting on fire with nitrous. It seems that a throttle body / plenum would be good, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to install and what kind of real world gains to expect on the track. If anyone has realistic suggestions for additional power that you are very satisfied with, please help! (no lame "SUPERCHARGE IT" ideas please ) I'm takingit to a track in Detriot this year, and want to try to get it into the 14.2 range if possible. I think stock hardtop 5-speeds can do this, butI have an AT Convertible so there is some ground to make up). Thanks!
There is a huge misconception on nitrous. If installed properly and tuned properly you really should have no problems with it. It is by far the best bang for buck as you will be getting 100hp for around $550 for a wet kit. If you want to go with a high flow catted x pipe, the difference between it and an off road x pipe is around 2hp. Underdrive pullies do not mess with you power stearing and you will see no reduced power ( i have them ) just dont get the piggy back styles. I recommend steeda. ffrp 4.10's installed professionaly really should make no noise. throttle body/ plenum you will see about 6-8rwhp from. My suggestion would be to go with the nitrous, its what im going to do in a few months. Just be sure and get a TUNE. Its very important. Good luck man
+1 everything he said. Nitrous will not set the car on fire, gears are outstanding for the price you pay and if shimmed properly will not make noise (if they do, take it back and make them redo it), there are plenty ofcatted street legal midpipes out there, and the t/b and plenum is a super easy install but will not show a large gain.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:20 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

Interesting, I never even thought about the suspension aspect... That's a great idea. Thanks again
Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

Seems like the price/performance ratio for a tb/plenum kit isn't the best.... Nitrous seems like a good way to go, but of course I would have to go all out and get the bottle heater/cooler and the all of the safety gear. From what I understand you can get a kit for like 400-500, and the additional safety / temperature devices, cooler spark plugs, and custom computer tunekick it up to around $1.3K. Any suggestions as to which brand? I think NX makes decent kits, but if anyone here has a nitrous kit and you are happy with it, voice it man. Thanks.. I'll be back tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

heh.. just get the nitrous. you can have them setup a lot like a centrifugal blower for the most part. the power comes on at a certain RPM range automatically and stops when you let off near red line. it's a nice kick in the pants. i wish they never made fast & the furious. that oscar winning seen "NAAAAAWWWWWZZZZZZZZZZ" gave nitrous such a bad rap.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Can't you just get a TB, TB Spacer, and use your stock plenum and get the same hp gains as TB and Plenum?

Quick Reply: Best HP bang for the buck?