4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

alright right now my car is stock.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: alright right now my car is stock.

i suggested the shorties because it seemed like he was gonna go fi, and i think that lt's on a street car is kinda over done.. and again like the other thread I am only advocating some suspension mods to make it a safer dd, if you wanted fun just go get a mongoose kit. I'm just getting a little tired of seeing wrecked stang pics..
Old 02-17-2007, 01:01 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Good thread & info
Old 02-17-2007, 01:13 PM
ac316scu
1st Gear Member

http://http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/index.phpThats a good site for exhaust clips.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:59 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I don't have any problem seeing a similar setup GT running the same/better times.

What your seeing is the difference between a car making more power and a car that runs better 60' (launch) times.

Running at the dragstrip, I can definatly see a car that has a 20-30 (or more)WHP deficit but better tires and suspension winning. However, its not gonna happen between a boltons GT and a FI one.

Put it this way. A stock suspension FI GT making 350 WHP will wipe the floor with a stock suspension boltons only mach1 making 330~WHP (or whatever they make, I have no personal experence) assuming they run the same tires and have equal drivers.

So your saying a GT with exhaust, intake, gears, tune and DR's running mid to high 12's in the 1/4 mile? I dont think so. This guy who lived in my town a couple years ago had a 99 GT with a 5spd, and he ran in them events that one of the LS1 guys did, he had intake, exhaust, pullies, tune, and DR's along with lakewood struts/shocks, drag launch springs and some other suspension stuff, and with about 250rwhp he was running mid to low 12's. I dont know what your fastest time in the 1/4 mile is, but a guy who lives in my neighborhood has an 03 GT with exhaust, a 1.7 KB intercooled and thats it and he ran a 12.1x in the 1/4 mile on stock rubber.
No, thats not what I am saying. I think someone is BSing you about his mods/horsepower list. Without massive weight reduction and one hell of a 60' time your not gonna see mid/low 12s on just 250 WHP. The average bolton GT + drag radials is gonna run high 12s at best

What I am saying is that, all things being equal, the FI car will be faster. That is to say, put the same suspension mods, tires, weight reduction, etc etc on the FI car and its going to outrun the n/a or boltons only GT every single time.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:29 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

I don't have any problem seeing a similar setup GT running the same/better times.

What your seeing is the difference between a car making more power and a car that runs better 60' (launch) times.

Running at the dragstrip, I can definatly see a car that has a 20-30 (or more)WHP deficit but better tires and suspension winning. However, its not gonna happen between a boltons GT and a FI one.

Put it this way. A stock suspension FI GT making 350 WHP will wipe the floor with a stock suspension boltons only mach1 making 330~WHP (or whatever they make, I have no personal experence) assuming they run the same tires and have equal drivers.

So your saying a GT with exhaust, intake, gears, tune and DR's running mid to high 12's in the 1/4 mile? I dont think so. This guy who lived in my town a couple years ago had a 99 GT with a 5spd, and he ran in them events that one of the LS1 guys did, he had intake, exhaust, pullies, tune, and DR's along with lakewood struts/shocks, drag launch springs and some other suspension stuff, and with about 250rwhp he was running mid to low 12's. I dont know what your fastest time in the 1/4 mile is, but a guy who lives in my neighborhood has an 03 GT with exhaust, a 1.7 KB intercooled and thats it and he ran a 12.1x in the 1/4 mile on stock rubber.
No, thats not what I am saying. I think someone is BSing you about his mods/horsepower list. Without massive weight reduction and one hell of a 60' time your not gonna see mid/low 12s on just 250 WHP. The average bolton GT + drag radials is gonna run high 12s at best

What I am saying is that, all things being equal, the FI car will be faster. That is to say, put the same suspension mods, tires, weight reduction, etc etc on the FI car and its going to outrun the n/a or boltons only GT every single time.
I'll try and find the link for his video. He raced in that NMRA sh*t than one of the Camaro guys on here does/did. He had one hell of a suspension just for drag racing and I think his car with him weighed like 3100lbs. It was a all out drag car, and with like 250rwhp he was running low 12's, seriously.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:07 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Massive weight reduction + lots of supension work + slicks can equal some great times, even on low horsepower.

But like the 4v, it has absolutly nothing to do with what we are talking about.A gutted drag car has nothing to do with a DD or weekend style car.

You can run some impressive times with a n/a car, but so long as you do the same wieght reduction/suspension/tires etc to the blown car you will see faster times. You simply cannot make the power levels n/a with a 2v 4.6L (or any 4.6L) than you can with a FI car.

Another thing people tend to forget is your driving habits. If your a track only kind of guy, then the supension/weight reduction thing might be for you. You can definatly make some good times with that setup. On the street, with a traction limited situation, its an entirely different matter. If two cars both run identical times on the track, but one with a 1.5 60' and one with a 2.0 60', the car with the weaker launch is going tovaporise the suspension only car on the street.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:57 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Massive weight reduction + lots of supension work + slicks can equal some great times, even on low horsepower.

But like the 4v, it has absolutly nothing to do with what we are talking about.A gutted drag car has nothing to do with a DD or weekend style car.

You can run some impressive times with a n/a car, but so long as you do the same wieght reduction/suspension/tires etc to the blown car you will see faster times. You simply cannot make the power levels n/a with a 2v 4.6L (or any 4.6L) than you can with a FI car.

Another thing people tend to forget is your driving habits. If your a track only kind of guy, then the supension/weight reduction thing might be for you. You can definatly make some good times with that setup. On the street, with a traction limited situation, its an entirely different matter. If two cars both run identical times on the track, but one with a 1.5 60' and one with a 2.0 60', the car with the weaker launch is going tovaporise the suspension only car on the street.
To be honest with you, I have no idea why I brought a 4v and a gutted/race car into the mix, LOL. I know what your saying about F/I is going to dominate a N/A car with the same #'s and mods. The guy with the GT with 250rwhp and running low 12's has only had the car on the streets like 2 times. He had some slicks on the back and everything cruising down the road. I passed him but didnt mess with him, especially since I was in my Alero, didnt have the Stang at that time.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:16 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

as for the muffler ? i have no mufflers and at first it was to cool it does get alot louder but then it get boring thats why i got the o/r h but just taking off the mufflers sounds alot more raspy i like it others dont others do its ur choice