4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Techies???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 AM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

Default Techies???

As of late been having noise issues from the clutch/tranny. Friend says it is the throwout/pilot bearing, but the clutch is slipping a little too....no biggie. I just ordered a XTD Stage 3 Racing clutch. I am dumb when it comes to tech stuff, so as to not mess this up..... what all needs to be done when replacing a clutch? Do I need a quadrant... do I already have a quantrant, need a new cable, fly wheel, does fly wheel have to be resurfaced... these types of things I need to know. I love my Bullitt and want this to be a proper install. I am not doing it, I just want to make sure that the mechanic is on point with everything that needs to be done.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: Techies???

To do just the clutch, and do it right, you'll need the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, new or resurfaced flywheel, and 'twas me I'd do a rear main seal and tranny front seal while I was in there.[/align][/align]Get the new or resurfaced flywheel before doing the job (there will be a core charge on a resurfaced unit that you will get back when you return the old one).Getting this up front means that you won't have to wait for the old one to be resurfaced, wait for a new one should the old one not be usable, and be able to make sure the resurfaced flywheel looks good. If you havethe old onesent out for resurfacing during the job you'll be married to whatever comes back from the machine shop--this is usually not a problem, however I got stung this way once and now like to see it beforehand.[/align][/align]You do have a quadrant, most likely the OEM plastic one which is not a problem with a stock clutch. But with your HP clutch you may want to consider one of the aluminum units, a firewall adjuster, and/or an adjustable cable. Steeda has a very nice 3-piece kit for $100.[/align]
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 AM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Techies???

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at a Billet steel flywheel (heard the aluminum ones dont hold up as well) I am in Germany so I have to order all of my parts stateside. Have you heard of XTD clutches before?? are they any good???