4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

The Best High Speed Highway Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The Best High Speed Highway Tire?

you definitely want a wider and lower profile tire (cornering and direct fell), my suggestion is 265/35/18 up front and 285/35/18 in back.... and research what the exotic sports run with (Lamo, Ferrari, Porcshe)
Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 AM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

As far as high speed and tires, look into Pirelli P-zero's. The model name slips my mind at the moment but there is one that is asymetrical and directional. So basically youll have a dedicated tire for each corner of the car.
And as far as tire size is concerned, youll want a staggered size. Meaning narrower tires for the front and wider for the rear. Having tires set-up this way will help you regain control in the event that you might lose control.
But for the fronts Id go with something along the lines of 255/50-17 and for the rears 275/40/17.
-P.
PS: If youre not too keen on Pirelli's, Dunlop's Sport SP8000 is an EXCEPTIONAL tire. Awesome traction in the rain, damn near the grip of a slick when its dry. Ive gone 120 on these tires in the rain with no worries and never got the feeling of any sort of instability.
PPS: Run the fronts between 40-42psi and the rears at 35-38.
of course YOU recommend those. I say go with redass radials. [8D]

my car feels like it's gonna start flying off the ground at 130-140, what is done to your car to make it stable at such speeds, janine?
Redass, to make your car stable at those speeds you need to do several things to it. First and foremost are tires. You CANNOT skimp here. Get GOOD tires that are suited for those speeds. Make sure theyre pumped up, you arent going to bang any corners at 32 psi, well you can but youll slide out.
Second, sway bars. Get the fatest sway bar you can for the front, I run a 1 7/8" front say bar. The stock rear ones feels just fine.
Third, suspension. Tokico adjustables or Koni adjustables. Good springs - I use modded motorsport ones, but eibach sportlines are probably a better way to go.
Fourth, alignment. Its SUPER important to have your alignment setup properly. Too much toe and the car will be twitchy, not enough and it wont wanna turn. Then youll also want some good negative camber, it might wear tires a wee bit.
Fifth, chassis bracing. Strut tower brace, subframes, g-load brace, rear shock tower brace, etc.
-P.

you forgot something,
sixth, downforce. probably the most important part at extreme high speeds. Indy, Cart, Nascar, and the list goes on. The reason the our "bricks" don't like those speeds is the lack of downforce. A good chin spoiler and either a true tail spoiler or a functional rear wing are absolutely essential at extreme speeds.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: janine

As far as high speed and tires, look into Pirelli P-zero's. The model name slips my mind at the moment but there is one that is asymetrical and directional. So basically youll have a dedicated tire for each corner of the car.
And as far as tire size is concerned, youll want a staggered size. Meaning narrower tires for the front and wider for the rear. Having tires set-up this way will help you regain control in the event that you might lose control.
But for the fronts Id go with something along the lines of 255/50-17 and for the rears 275/40/17.
-P.
PS: If youre not too keen on Pirelli's, Dunlop's Sport SP8000 is an EXCEPTIONAL tire. Awesome traction in the rain, damn near the grip of a slick when its dry. Ive gone 120 on these tires in the rain with no worries and never got the feeling of any sort of instability.
PPS: Run the fronts between 40-42psi and the rears at 35-38.
Thank you for your reply. I am looking into all you said.
DO NOT DO THAT 42 psi will put much more stress on the sidewall and each time you hit a slight bump it gets closer and closer to blowing out..be smart and run them anywhere from 30-35