4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sound deadening....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Sound deadening....

weight isnt a HUGE difference, at least not in the trunk only... Im sure it will help considerably... I have listened alot to the road noise... 95% of it seems to come from the trunk, but I am only doing the floors and the sides, where carpet will cover it... I dont want that silver sh!it all over the place where you can see it!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black_GT_02

how much extra weight will it add?

and will it really help much if you just put it in the trunk?
Laying some in the trunk will help somewhat, but if you want some good results do the trunk and the floor thats where most of the road noise and exhaust noise comes from... 80sq.ft would do it... So about $200

Well I layed 160 square ft. of damplifier (silver stuff) through out my car, was a total of 67lbs. (0.42lbs. sq.ft.)
Then 42sqft. of overkill pro 7lbs. total
Then 60sqft. of overkill Which is no more than 5 lbs....

So about 80lbs. total... I dont care about the added wieght. I rather have the comfort of driving my car. Which its just a regular car 99% of the time.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

how much extra weight will it add?

and will it really help much if you just put it in the trunk?
One Dynamat Trunk Kit weighs roughly 20lbs. I think that is 12 sq/ft. The whole car??? Probably 300lbs. that slows you down a few tenths in the quarter! It's like having an extra person in the car. I can always feel power diff. when I have a passenger in the car! Noticeable! My car had some factory sound deadener throughout the trunk, under the back seat and in the spare well!You want to put thatstuff on top of the wheel wells on the other side of the strut tower wall divider. Kinda hard to get back there, but a lot comes through there. Also there are moisture vents near your tailights, I covered them up because sound flows right through them.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

So take it out from the wheel well and put it where you said should do the trick? well...better than what it is doing now?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

So take it out from the wheel well and put it where you said should do the trick? well...better than what it is doing now?
That stuff is practically welded on! You'll never get it off. You can't get off Dynamat unless it's really cold out and you pull like a ******! The other guy who said 60sq.ft. weighs 5lbs??? What is he smokin? No way, must be super cheap. I went with Dynamat Xtreme and that stuff weighed 27lbs on the UPS label I just went out and checked! for one Trunk kit! You can get that on ebay for right around $100 It's the best stuff out there! You can heat it up with a heat gun and roll it on with an aerosol can(just make sure it's empty).lol You don't even have to roll it out, just heat that stuff up and it gets super sticky, you won't even believe your eyes. Heat a whole sheet up and poke your finger into it and you'll have to use your other hand to peel it off...no lie! Dynamat Xtreme Trunk Kit should do exactly what you need. I used it for my stereo system and was plenty! Make sure you line your trunk lid as well. You can cover it up with speaker box carpet since it is identical as your trunk liner and use small self tapping screws to hold it over the dynamat for a clean look. Just make sure you don't poke the other side where the metal touches each other! Need any other help just ask!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

That stuff is practically welded on! You'll never get it off. You can't get off Dynamat unless it's really cold out and you pull like a ******! The other guy who said 60sq.ft. weighs 5lbs??? What is he smokin? No way, must be super cheap. I went with Dynamat Xtreme and that stuff weighed 27lbs on the UPS label I just went out and checked! for one Trunk kit! You can get that on ebay for right around $100 It's the best stuff out there! You can heat it up with a heat gun and roll it on with an aerosol can(just make sure it's empty).lol You don't even have to roll it out, just heat that stuff up and it gets super sticky, you won't even believe your eyes. Heat a whole sheet up and poke your finger into it and you'll have to use your other hand to peel it off...no lie! Dynamat Xtreme Trunk Kit should do exactly what you need. I used it for my stereo system and was plenty! Make sure you line your trunk lid as well. You can cover it up with speaker box carpet since it is identical as your trunk liner and use small self tapping screws to hold it over the dynamat for a clean look. Just make sure you don't poke the other side where the metal touches each other! Need any other help just ask!
I guess you didnt read my whole post, that usually helps... But I was saying 160sqft. of damplifier (which is the same thing as dynomat extreme) weighs 67lbs... The overkill pro was 42sqft. which is a closed cell foam infused with vinyl weighed 7lbs total..... and the overkill is another closed cell foam 60sqft..weight about 5lbs Thats the closed cell foam... http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-b...?p=ps&pg=3

You should check this page out... You should read it... Not just scan it. http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Dynomat Extreme is not the best stuff out there, they are EXTREMELY over priced... You have to buy the Extreme just to get the buytl, the regular dynomat comes with asphalt filler, that **** melts off yoru panels in the sun! Damplifier has no need to be heated up with a heat gun, you just peal the adheasive paper off and lay it in place and use a 2" roller and roll over the surface to make sure its adheared completely. I did my home work before I invested all this money for sound deadening.