4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MM strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:06 AM
03GT_4.6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: MM strut tower brace

I'm just thinking I'll get both the SF connectors and the STB together and wait on the shocks and struts just for a couple of months or until they get really bad. By then I would have the money for some really good shocks and struts. I know Bilstien are really good but I've heard a couple of people recommend Strange Engineering to.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:10 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

strange engineering are good budget shocks/struts nothing comparable to bilstein, tokico, or koni's. Call it brand loyalty but I would only go with bilsteins or koni's. And just know with a front stb mods like cai,tb,plenum,and some blowers will not fit. the rear will cut into your trunk space.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 AM
03GT_4.6
2nd Gear Member

If you had to prioritise everything I want to get in a specific order, in what order would you do it? I'm definately getting lowering springs, c/c plates, prothane tierod and balljoint boots, and its a toss-up between SF connectors and a STB. The only mod under the hood I have is a K&N FIPK intake and I don't really plan on changing my throttle body and plenum. I was thinking about some prothane spring isolators as well but will they affect how much the springs lower the car since they won't squash as much as rubber isolators? My car will probably never be supercharged either
Old 03-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Do the SFC's now, main reason is, you can buy all the other things later and pay for install once to have em all installed at the same time, the other reason is sfc's help your chassis and frame from unnecessary stress/flex and since I have had mine welded in, my car creaks and moans alot less. So I guess its more of a preventive measure. I would definately wait to have the other mods installed all at once to save yourself money on install. the sfc's will cost about 100 and it cost me 20 at the local muffler shop for them to weld it on, I had the powder coat sanded off in some parts so they could weld it, then followed it up with a couple coats of rustoleum while the car was still up on their lift.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 PM
03GT_4.6
2nd Gear Member

I was planning on doing the install of my suspension my self. From my research installing springs won't be an issue just a matter of time. As for shocks, struts and c/c plates, shocks will be really easy and the c/c plates and struts will just be a matter of taking my time. I have time because I can't drive my car for a month or two anyway so there is no reason to rush things. On another side note I change my mind frequently. I should just do the shocks/struts first along with springs and just wait on the STB and SFCs since my car will drive fine without the two of those anyway and they are not as mandatory for a drop like new struts/shocks. The SFCs can come in the middle of summer and that wouldn't be a problem
Old 03-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

if your doing install then its a little different, I would now ask yourself what can you afford now? if you can afford to do the springs/shocks/struts and cc plates now? or the sfc? you will feel a bigger difference with the shocks/struts/springs and cc's,the sfc's if the car is inop for a few months then go ahead and put those off till your gonna drive it.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
03GT_4.6
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I can easily afford the springs, shocks/struts, and c/c plates right now. I'll probably be ordering them withing the next couple of days but now I'm just deciding on which shocks/struts I should get. I'm thinking they will either be Bilstien or Tokico. My car will probably never see a race track since Idon't have one around here but you never know what the future brings. Do you think Bilstien is overkill and Tokico's will do fine for a daily driver with some aggressive driving?