4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My car rides like crap

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:00 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My car rides like crap

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

ORIGINAL: djb1187

i dont think my car is lowered but umm. its not bouncy at all. its actually very stiff....VERY STIFF. it has like nooo body roll. and the car seems to just ride real firm. It handles like a dream though
Sounds normal to me
I can't even move the corners of my 2003 GT down and it's all stock,,,,,,,for now

It's difficult to get superior handling, soft ride and price all in one without something giving.
Mostly the laws of physics are against it.

About the only cars that have been able to do it are very high end Jap cars like Lexus etc and then only the top
models with electronic suspension gizmos and believe me you don't ever have to want to fix one of those.

coorvettes do
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Your car looks like it has been lowered to me - but it could just be the picture. I am looking to drop my car an 1.5" with stock 17" wheels it is 8" from the tire to center of wheel well.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:21 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

i dont think my car is lowered but umm. its not bouncy at all. its actually very stiff....VERY STIFF. it has like nooo body roll. and the car seems to just ride real firm. It handles like a dream though
Sounds normal to me
I can't even move the corners of my 2003 GT down and it's all stock,,,,,,,for now

It's difficult to get superior handling, soft ride and price all in one without something giving.

About the only cars that have been able to do it are very high end Jap cars like Lexus etc and then only the top
models with electronic suspension gizmos and believe me you don't ever have to want to fix one of those.

coorvettes do
I said:

"It's difficult to get superior handling, soft ride and price all in one without something giving.
Mostly the laws of physics are against it."

Ever drive a Corvette?
Superior handling yes.
Soft ride? No way.
And then there is the price.

So, actually Corvettes, don't.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:29 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Sounds normal to me

coorvettes do
I said:

"It's difficult to get superior handling, soft ride and price all in one without something giving.

Ever drive a Corvette?
Superior handling yes.
Soft ride? No way.

I owned a 77 corvette... most vette guys that owned one say it was one of the better handling vettes they've owned... and as for ride??? I could drive it all day.. it was so comfortable in there... and when I rode in it before I got my license, I'd go right th sleep with the drone of the dual 40 series, and no cat... and as for price?? how about 13k...

so actually corvettes do... you just gotta know what you're looking for.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:36 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dubarado

Sounds normal to me

coorvettes do
I said:

Ever drive a Corvette?
Superior handling yes.
Soft ride? No way.

I owned a 77 corvette... most vette guys that owned one say it was one of the better handling vettes they've owned... and as for ride??? I could drive it all day.. it was so comfortable in there... and when I rode in it before I got my license, I'd go right th sleep with the drone of the dual 40 series, and no cat... and as for price?? how about 13k...

so actually corvettes do... you just gotta know what you're looking for.
LOL!

$13k in 1977 dollars that's how much in 2007 dollars?
I'll leave the math to you.

And as for Corvettes, a 1976 was my first when I was 19 years old (1979) and I've owned 3 others since
and they are bone jittering to drive and certainly not soft by any stretch of the imagination.
They aren't cheap either, but compared to other sports cars ie:Porsche etc they are one hell of a bargain.

Then I got married and it was Dodge Caravan time with a VW GTI and now a Mustang slipped into the mix, finally.

Then of course there is my brother's 2005 C06, which lives at the dealership for one problem or another.
Great car, really great car, but hiw particular one has *issues*.
So I've had my share of Vette's and smooth riding is not a pharse I would use to describe them.

To each his own though.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:31 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Did you just put on bigger rims? Or where they the same size you had before?..
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

no they are still the 17s. it actually rides better with my toyo tires but the car still rides harsh for some reason. I have people ask me all the time was my car lowered but I never did it. Is there a way to detect it?? and has anyone driven a 2004 and up vette? they ride way smoother than our gt mustangs. not smoother than the cobras (irs) but IMO its just a softer ride. They just feel so slow down low but once you gain speed its a way diffrent animal. and undecidedsteve your referring to vettes from the 70s. technology was very low back then
Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

no they are still the 17s. it actually rides better with my toyo tires but the car still rides harsh for some reason. I have people ask me all the time was my car lowered but I never did it. Is there a way to detect it?? and has anyone driven a 2004 and up vette? they ride way smoother than our gt mustangs. not smoother than the cobras (irs) but IMO its just a softer ride. They just feel so slow down low but once you gain speed its a way diffrent animal. and undecidedsteve your referring to vettes from the 70s. technology was very low back then
Yea, the Vettes I owned were rattle traps but I loved them just the same[8D]

I think we all have different opionions of what "harsh riding means" and that's why there are so many opinions on this topic.

For example my brothers 2005 C06 IMHO is harsh riding, in a different way than the Mustang though.
He has the performance package with the run flat tires so that may be why.

The Mustang is more "jiggly" than his Vette is, so in that respect I will agree the Vette is smoother however take it
on anything other than a glass smooth road and it is just as bone rattling as a Mustang but more stable due to the wide body.
You can literally feel the paint on parking lot pavement markers though.

What makes the Vette feel smoother to some is the interior.
The seats are incredibly comfortable, and like dubardo said you can literally fall asleep in them listening to the exhaust.

My idea of smooth is a high end Lexus or BMW, not a Vette but again it's all relative.
The Vette gives up smoothness for handling
The BMW/Lexus give up handling for smoothness.
Yet each can handle and ride very well, for different reasons.

FWIW I drove a 2007 Mustang V6 with the Pony Package (GT like suspension) for a week and I thought that rode very harsh which is contrary to what a lot of people say about the S197 stangs compared to the s95s so maybe I'm just weird []

Getting back to your question though:

When you say harsh, could you be more specific?
IOW does it slam over bumps?
Jiggle around a lot?
Slamming down on minor bumps?

My 2003 is smooth as silk on well paved highways, but jiggles on not so good roads.
It's no more harsh than any other true sports car I have driven though
I think it's just normal for the beast.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Well maybe it's time for some new shock/struts. That's the only thing I can think of.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

undecidedsteve I see what your saying. Maybe that what I am noticing. My car is more over the road while going over bumps and it seems as if the vette is more stable. On smooth roads my car is very comfy but over bumps its loud and it feels as if the suspension is bottoming out sometimes. My car only has 79k and I find it hard to believe the shocks/struts are gone. Its really stiff and it doesnt bounce much over bumps. Just feels as if no suspension travel. Not many fat people get in my car but if they do it seems as if the car doesnt lower itself at all. The s197s ride a lot smoother IMO but I only drove the v6...never the GT