4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

where is the "Middle Man"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: where is the "Middle Man"?

You should not have any issues with your car if you get it properly setup and tuned FI. Supercharger kits are simply street proven to the extreme, thousands upon thousands have been sold.

It is pretty easy to go out and just buy a terminator and have a fast car, and it will be incredibly fast with very little investment in aftermarket mods, but when you figure in the added cost of the car things start to even out.

If you only count parts on the car I am just now closing in on the pricerange of what a brand new terminator would cost. If you were talking about the cost of buying a 00 GT today I would be WELL under the cost of one.

Its a hard decsion. I had to decide between buying the charger kit and getting a 03/04... and then my stock GT tranny broke and made the decstion for me (can't trade in a busted car). I don't regret it. I am already well under the times of a stock termniator, and on the street I can give simple bolton ones a good run for their money (espcially from a stop).
Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 AM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

I am just saying, that if you buy a car that is already set up to handle 400+ hp, less money to invest in making it "race worthy" . I have a friend here in Germany that bought a 05 GT, bought exhaust, rims and rubber and that was it. He decided to throw on a Vortech (with out upgrading evrything else first) and he siezed his engine on his third pass and crashed. Whether it was his fault or not I don't know. Just one of many stories I know, just happened to see this one first hand. Bolt on HP is all good and cheap, but it is the OTHER things like forged internals, High Flow oil pump, bigger oil pan, upgraded brakes and the sorts that really put a hurtin in your back pocket. This is why I am starting from the ground up with mine. S/C or TT will be the LAST thing Iadd if I go that route. And oh by the way hisinsurance did not reimberse him for anything to include his trip to the hospital.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:24 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Great points... The reason I got my Cobra was because of the motor and tranny, I wanted more then 500rwhp... I tell everyone, that if your plan is to make ~450rwhp a blown GT will do more good for you then any, because your right about what you said... but, if you start having to replace trannys, axles and engine components, that's where the $$ starts piling up really quick

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

You should not have any issues with your car if you get it properly setup and tuned FI. Supercharger kits are simply street proven to the extreme, thousands upon thousands have been sold.

It is pretty easy to go out and just buy a terminator and have a fast car, and it will be incredibly fast with very little investment in aftermarket mods, but when you figure in the added cost of the car things start to even out.

If you only count parts on the car I am just now closing in on the pricerange of what a brand new terminator would cost. If you were talking about the cost of buying a 00 GT today I would be WELL under the cost of one.

Its a hard decsion. I had to decide between buying the charger kit and getting a 03/04... and then my stock GT tranny broke and made the decstion for me (can't trade in a busted car). I don't regret it. I am already well under the times of a stock termniator, and on the street I can give simple bolton ones a good run for their money (espcially from a stop).